StressAnalysis of Non metallic pipeline

Posted by: kunals_5

StressAnalysis of Non metallic pipeline - 12/13/10 12:23 PM

We are doing a stress analysis for the RTRP pipelines across the Gathering Centers in Kuwait using the Pig Launchers & receiver (CARBON STEEL) arrangement. We have referred the ASME B31.3 Code Chapter VII (Non Metallic Piping & Piping Lined with Nonmetals) as well as BS7159 (Design & Construction of GRP Piping systems for individual plants). We aware that ASME B31.3 deals with Process Piping. We have some doubts and request all members for clarification.
1. Can we use ASME B31.3 (Chapter VII)for the Cross Country Pipelines for RTRP Material since ASME B31.4 & ASME B31.8 code does not specify any code reference for the Stress Analysis for Non - Metallic pipelines?
2.We have referred BS7159 Design Code also for Non Metallic but as per Cl.1.1 of BS7159: 1989 it’s specify:
This code does not include recommendations specific to the particular needs of cross-country pipelines outside the boundaries already described or of underground or under-water effluent or drainage systems, although general aspects of its guidance may be helpful where not in conflict with other codes of practice for such purposes
3. Now we have done the stress analysis for the Pipeline considering the Pig L/R + RTRP pipe as per ASME B31.3 as well as BS7159 Design Codes and found that the loads for the Pig L/R supports as per ASME B31.3 are approx 60% lesser compare to that of BS7159.
So can we consider the stress analysis design as per ASME B31.3 considering the Chapter VII so that Pig L/R supports can be designed or BS7159 design code. We are in need to clear this doubt since the loads are much higher and we are afraid that we reffering the wrong design code.
Thanks to all , awaiting for quick response.
Posted by: Michael_Fletcher

Re: StressAnalysis of Non metallic pipeline - 12/13/10 12:46 PM

UKOOA code also addresses fiber-epoxy reinforced piping. Have you compared to it?
Posted by: corne

Re: StressAnalysis of Non metallic pipeline - 12/14/10 01:37 AM

Please do a search on this forum regarding the FRP piping codes UKOOA, BS7159 and ISO14692 compared to B31.3. I have written about this extensively in other topics.

There are no FRP piping codes in CII that reference cross-country (buried) piping. Be careful when modelling such FRP piping, especially regarding the used coupling between pipe spools.

The difference in results between ASME and BS may be the bourdon effect, but also the way the code stress is calculated is different (check the C2 quick reference guide).
Posted by: Raam____

Re: StressAnalysis of Non metallic pipeline - 12/14/10 05:50 AM

Originally Posted By: kunals_5

3. Now we have done the stress analysis for the Pipeline considering the Pig L/R + RTRP pipe as per ASME B31.3 as well as BS7159 Design Codes and found that the loads for the Pig L/R supports as per ASME B31.3 are approx 60% lesser compare to that of BS7159.

Dear Friends,

Does the load & Displacement vary with respect to the design code BS 7159 and ASME B31.3? I have verified this in CAESAR II with codes ASME B31.1, ASME B31.3 & ASME B 31.4 and I observed very slight difference in the results.

Obviously based on the displacement and force formula the results are same irrespective of the design codes. As the code Stress formula is different for each design code, does this have any impact in loads & displacement? Kindly enlighten me in this regard.

Re: StressAnalysis of Non metallic pipeline - 12/18/10 08:13 AM

Dear Friends,

As i am a beginner in stress analysis, I would be grateful if you could help me understand the above mentioned concept.
Posted by: prakash_26jan

Re: StressAnalysis of Non metallic pipeline - 12/26/10 04:01 AM

dear Ram

i believe you should follow the ISO 14692 (caesar II 5.2) for the analysis of cross country FRP pipeline.
Posted by: Rajeshvyas

Re: StressAnalysis of Non metallic pipeline - 12/28/10 03:31 AM

can you please provide me model on frp pipes code for this bs 7159, uk00a or iso 14692 i want to study on this

Posted by: corne

Re: StressAnalysis of Non metallic pipeline - 12/28/10 07:45 AM

@rajeshvyas: see your own topic: http://65.57.255.42/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=39764#Post39764

@prakash: You can use the other two codes too. There are no codes specifically for cross country FRP lines in C2.

@Raam: I don't know why you have these large differences, as you say the finite element stiffness matrices should be the same. The only thing I can think of are stiffness factors that are different.

Re: StressAnalysis of Non metallic pipeline - 12/29/10 12:33 AM

Dear Friends,

Thanks for your reply.

Originally Posted By: kunals_5

The above quote states that the loads for Pig L/R as per ASME B31.3 are approx 60% lesser than BS7159.

1. So, I want to know whether the load & Displacement vary with respect to the design code BS 7159 and ASME B31.3 for a same system?

2. Also, I want to understand whether the load & Displacement vary with codes ASME B31.1, ASME B31.3 & ASME B 31.4 for a same system?

Please refer my previous post. Also advice me some reference to learn about it.