NEMA SM-23 to check existing line

Posted by: runner

NEMA SM-23 to check existing line - 11/29/10 01:59 PM

Hi to all,

My client is asking to check nozzle loads with respective existing lines.
Existing steam header 14" line with a two tee branch side by side of 8" pipe is connecting to turbine nozzle, pipe stress was done in 1995.

In the existing 14" steam header we are taking new current tapping to connect 16" pipe. spool length is 9 meters

Code stress, Restraint summary, stress summary all are with in allowable limit but when I check NEMA SM23 it is 110%(including current scope).

I have done same existing 1995 (CAESAR II 3.2) pipe stress analysis to check the forces and moments in CAESAR II 5.2 but I am not able see the results close to old once.

I have done adding current scope in existing line but still no good when I check NEMA code.

I have done adding existing spring hanger data and checked with old once but still not good.

I have done adding default spring hanger to check force and moments but still not good.

In what way I can convince client?
Posted by: runner

Re: NEMA SM-23 to check existing line - 11/29/10 02:02 PM

check this file.
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: NEMA SM-23 to check existing line - 11/29/10 04:02 PM

If you run the old job (from 1995) you should obtain the same solution in Version 5.20 (except for known Code changes). You said "steam header", so I presume this is a 31.1 run? Maybe pressure stiffening of the elbows is causing the problem - try turning that off in the Configuration and see if that is the difference.

If you can't get 5.20 to give you the same solution as 3.20, send us the 3.20 files (_a and _j) as well as the expected output, so we can take a look at it.
Posted by: NiTiN Stress

Re: NEMA SM-23 to check existing line - 01/09/11 02:21 AM

sir,
same problem happened with me,
The system which was passed in NEMA SM23 ON CEASR VERSION 5.0 WAS FAILED IN VERSION 5.1.
so we maintain the system in same 5.0 version & release the system.
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: NEMA SM-23 to check existing line - 01/09/11 11:30 AM

You really should find out why the difference exists. At the front of the User's Guide, just after the Distribution Letter, is a list of "Technical Changes" that could lead to different results from previous versions. You should really review this, then make an Engineering decision as to which Version of the software you want to maintain the system in.