Non-convergence of analysis

Posted by: rajeev_nagpal

Non-convergence of analysis - 09/29/10 06:10 AM

Hi all,
what should i do when my analysis is not converging?
should i ignore friction or is there any other suitable approach?
Posted by: MoverZ

Re: Non-convergence of analysis - 09/29/10 06:13 AM

Try searching this site for Convergance. Lots of threads have covered this.
Posted by: Parag

Re: Non-convergence of analysis - 10/11/10 11:02 PM

Dear All,
I am not sure it is correct or not but I follow the following sequence to get rid of this problem.

1. Reduce Friction stiffness.

2. Remove the friction factor from REST supports which are lifting.

3. Remove friction factor from Guide and Axial stops.

Please give your comments/suggestions

Regards,

Parag Dharkar
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: Non-convergence of analysis - 10/12/10 05:39 AM

Usually you can achieve convergence by reducing the "friction stiffness" and increasing the other "friction tolerances".
Posted by: Dave Diehl

Re: Non-convergence of analysis - 10/12/10 06:43 AM

As you reduce friction stiffness and increase tolerance you might converge but at the expense of a less accurate solution.
Someone else posted this point earlier - only consider friction on restraints that carry weight as they have a normal load (and friction) from the start. Other restraints (e.g. guides) do not restrict motion (due to friction) until the system closes the gap and creates a horizontal load. Those horizontal friction effects are less certain than the deadweight supports. This is especially true for occasional (and horizontal) loads such as wind.
Posted by: danb

Re: Non-convergence of analysis - 10/12/10 07:03 AM

Dave, I agree that altering friction stiffness it may lead to a less accurate solution.
I recently checked a such a system. I changed back the friction stiffness to default. Curious thing, a spring hanger that previously had 4000 N ope load, changed the ope load to nearly 8000 N.

I prefer other means.

Best regard,