flange leakage & API 610

Posted by: M.Mohammad

flange leakage & API 610 - 08/19/10 05:18 AM

Hello dears

I want to know about two things about stress analysis:

1- What is the formula about flange leakage? How can I check flang leakage by hand?

2- I'm working on a case that has two pumps. I know about API allowable loads but my case is a little over load. I remember my teacher said me about a formula(relate API) for sollving this problem. What is this relation?

Thank
Posted by: say

Re: flange leakage & API 610 - 09/06/10 08:43 PM

Please refer to ASME Sec. VIII Div. 1, Appendix 2 or at ASME Sec. VIII Div. 2, Part 4.16 . There you can find calculation on flange leakage which B31.3 stated.

Im not a CeasarII user but as I know it also provide separate program for flange leakage analysis.

As for API pump allowable, read the code and you will found that it allows user to double the allowable for nozzle qualification.
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: flange leakage & API 610 - 09/07/10 06:26 AM

There are a number of approaches to "flange leakage". The FEA approach taken by c2 is discussed in the "October 1991" newsletter, which is available on this website.

As to the API question, you will have to refer to the Code to see the relationship between the various parameters, and which ones you may have the ability to adjust.
Posted by: Aarif

Re: flange leakage & API 610 - 01/26/12 05:05 AM

ASME B31.3 304.5.1 (b) states:
A flange may be designed in accordance with the BPV Code, Section VIII, Division 1, Appendix 2, using the allowable stresses and temperature limits of the B31.3 Code.
Question: Appendix 2 of the BPV code does not clearly tell that if so and so condition is met, flange leakage problem 'shall' not occur. So how can it be implied that BPV Code, Section VIII, Division 1, Appendix 2 can be used for flange leakage calculations. One of the respected members in another thread mentioned that C2 uses BPV Code, Section VIII, Division 1, Appendix 2 for flange leakage calculations (and not denied by C2 moderators on this forum).
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: flange leakage & API 610 - 01/26/12 06:38 AM

The c2 Flange Module (found under the "Analysis" menu option) does use the BPV Code, Section VIII, Division 1, Appendix 2 - for flange stresses. The BPV also contains an equation for flange rigidity, which is a value related to leakage.

However, the flange leakage routine in the c2 Flange Module is based on an FEA technique, discussed in the "October 1991 Newsletter", which can be found on this website, as mentioned in the post above.

Re: flange leakage & API 610 - 01/27/12 03:34 AM

Thanks Mr. Richard Ay,
I shall check for the equation of flange rigidity in the BPV code.

Re: flange leakage & API 610 - 02/01/12 01:47 PM

Deleted