Overriding nominal diameter?

Posted by: Edward Klein

Overriding nominal diameter? - 11/09/00 03:30 PM

I am trying to build a representation of a thermowell to determine its natural frequency. I plan to start at one end at .75" diameter and progress over a series of steps to the 0.5" diameter at the end.

However, when I enter 0.75" into the diameter, it automatically converts it to 1.05", which is the true OD of a 3/4" nominal pipe. Putting in .74, .73, and .72 appear to generate some kind of rounding which again makes me end up with 1.05".

How do I force the box to accept the number as an actual OD instead of a nominal one? I've been searching through the documentation, but the only mention is that the diameter is converted to actual diameter based on the selected database in setup. Going to setup, I find that I cannot specify "none" for the database.
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: Overriding nominal diameter? - 11/09/00 04:42 PM

The switch to "turn off" nominal diameter conversion is not in the "configuration file". This switch is in the "units" file.

To disable this nominal conversion, go to the [Tools] menu and invoke the processor to create a new units file. Select English as your starting template (I presume this is the one you want), and specify a new units file name for the data set you are about to create.

The resulting dialog contains a set of drop lists to change the unit conversion factors and labels. In the lower right hand corner of this dialog is an option named "NOMINALS" (see the <font color="#ff0000">red</font> arrow in the figure below). Use the drop list here to set this option to OFF.

Save the file and you're new units file is complete.

Once the new units file is available, to the [Tools] menu and bring up the configuration dialog. Go to the databases tab, and there, select your new units file.

Now, all new jobs created (using the new units file) will have the nominal diameter conversion turned off.

------------------
Regards,
Richard Ay (COADE, Inc.)

[This message has been edited by rich_ay (edited November 09, 2000).]
Posted by: Edward Klein

Re: Overriding nominal diameter? - 11/09/00 04:47 PM

Most Excellent!

Thanks,
--ED