Why allowable stress in output is zero in spite of entering material data

Posted by: r2d2

Why allowable stress in output is zero in spite of entering material data - 10/08/04 01:20 AM

Hello
In the data sheet I have indicated the material as : Sl. no. 155 A312 TP304
and the material proerties for this material appear in the right hand side of the data sheet.

However, I don't understand the following in the Output sheet :

In output processor Listing for Stresses, Sorted stresses, code compliance, the entries under the heading 'Allow Stress' are all
zero.

What is the error in the data entry ?

Please explain
TIA
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: Why allowable stress in output is zero in spite of entering material data - 10/08/04 06:53 AM

There is no error. Chances are you're making a B31.1 or B31.3 run, and these codes don't consider the (OPE) case a "code compliance" case. Therefore there is no allowable defined for this case, so CAESAR II prints zero.
Posted by: r2d2

Re: Why allowable stress in output is zero in spite of entering material data - 10/08/04 10:56 AM

Richard
Yes, I was using B31.1 /B31.3 run.
Thank you very much for the reply.

r2d2
Posted by: Pleasance

Re: Why allowable stress in output is zero in spite of entering material data - 11/10/04 12:06 AM

hi

since there is no allowable given for (OPE) cases for code B31.3, so how can we conclude that the stress is within allowable?
Posted by: John C. Luf

Re: Why allowable stress in output is zero in spite of entering material data - 11/10/04 07:35 AM

Read the B31.1 and B31.3 codes and you will find the answer to this question.
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: Why allowable stress in output is zero in spite of entering material data - 11/10/04 08:14 AM

You can also check out this thread which explains the code philosophy.