Trouble closing graphics window

Posted by: MattC

Trouble closing graphics window - 09/15/04 08:24 AM

I am having trouble when I try to close the graphics window and return to the spreadsheet input. When I close the graphics window the spreadsheet will not "load" back up, it stays greyed out (it even reads "Not Responding" in the task manager).

I have to close the spreadsheet (not exit Caesar II completely) and then re-open the spreadsheet in order to resume working.

I have the last build of CaesarII (downloaded monday) and my machine meets the min. system requirements. I have even tried this on a different machine and had the same results. The model is only a couple hundred nodes, nothing that CaesarII shouldn't be able to handle. I have changed a few settings and this problem still persists.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

The one way I can get around this is to work in the spreadsheet with the graphics window open in the background. However, sometimes when I open the graphics window the spread sheet will close; is it possible to set up CaesarII so that it always opens the graphics in a third window without closing spreadsheet?
Posted by: Nadia Strikovski

Re: Trouble closing graphics window - 09/15/04 09:59 AM

The first aid for most software problems is to reboot the computer.
(1) Is it job specific? Can you open one of the example jobs supplied with C2 installation and reproduce the error? Trying this on a different machine may not make a difference: if "another" machine was purchased at the same time as the "first one", the chances are the system configuration will be identical…
(2) On closing the graphics, the C2 tries to update an XML file with graphics related settings (colors, zooming, etc.). Try deleting the XML file (in the Job directory with the Job name) and then plot again.
(3) OpenGL implementation on many video cards is far from superior and may cause all kinds of problems. Go to Tools -> Configure/Setup, Plot Colors tab and clear the "HOOPS Graphics use OpenGL" check box. Then Exit w/Save and try to plot again.
(4) Check the video card manufacturer’s web site for the latest drivers available for your video card.
(5) Check your video card performance compatibility with the HOOPS graphics at [http://developer.hoops3d.com/graphicscards/graphicscards.html] or [http://www.solidworks.com/pages/services/VideoCardTesting.html]

If nothing of the above works, we will need to setup a "buddy help" session to "witness" the problem and try to resolve it (call 281-890-4566 to schedule an appointment).

About working in the spreadsheet with the graphics window open:
from the Piping Input click the Graphics button, at the Graphics window click the "View Input Spreadsheet" button on the toolbar to bring the Piping Input again. Clicking the same button again will toggle the Input screen on and off. If the button state is already "pushed on", then you can access the input spreadsheet by clicking the appropriate icon on the task bar.
Posted by: MattC

Re: Trouble closing graphics window - 09/15/04 11:17 AM

#3 - when i check off the "Hoops Graphics use OpenGL" the graphic loads quite a bit slower but I am able to close the window and have the speadsheet load back up.

I will update my drivers and hopefully that will cut down on the load time.

Thanks for your help!

Matthew