Allowable changes in the presence of SIF (SUS case)

Posted by: Ferex

Allowable changes in the presence of SIF (SUS case) - 06/26/09 03:31 AM

Hi, welcome back, I soon start with my question.
I noticed that in sustained cases, allowables undergo variations (they diminish) at the points with SIF (stress intensification factor). Though I can understand why, I cannot find in Caesar the setting that has to do with it. I think it has to do with weld joint efficiency and it seems strange because in B31.3 since 1980 this parameter shouldn't be taken into account. I have read Caesar technical documentation but still I couldn't focus.
Could you help me?
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: Allowable changes in the presence of SIF (SUS case) - 06/26/09 07:05 AM

It is not "eff" that is affecting the allowable, but "w". See Paragraph 3.2.3.5c. Note that "w" has been removed from this paragraph for the 2008 Edition, which c2 does not yet address.

Version 5.20 gives you the option of ignoring "w" (in the Configuration).

Re: Allowable changes in the presence of SIF (SUS case) - 06/26/09 07:50 AM

Ok, many thanks, I understood!!
Is this option available only on 5.20? I am still using 5.10.

Re: Allowable changes in the presence of SIF (SUS case) - 06/29/09 08:16 AM

Yes, this is only available in Version 5.20. We added this option because the 2008 Edition of B31.3 made the use of "w" optional.

Re: Allowable changes in the presence of SIF (SUS case) - 07/21/09 09:27 AM

Getting back to the problem I read that for B31.3 the "w" factor applies (in the SUS cases) when there are weldings over a temperature of more than 510 degrees.
In Caesar II I see it on bendings and tees, what if I want to apply it on straight run pipe (which however has weldings along the run)?

Re: Allowable changes in the presence of SIF (SUS case) - 07/21/09 09:50 AM

Assuming you know where the welds are, you would have to define a node at that location, and then check the "SIF&Tee" checkbox, indicate a butt-weld, and specify the "w" factor.
Posted by: dark

Re: Allowable changes in the presence of SIF (SUS case) - 07/21/09 07:59 PM

It is paragraph 302.3.5c . B31.3 2008 edition. pp.15.