about the displacement

Posted by: learner

about the displacement - 03/25/09 11:10 PM

can you tell me how to decide the displacement for every node?

thank you.
Posted by: shr

Re: about the displacement - 03/25/09 11:50 PM

Hi Learner
We do not decide we calculate displacement on each node based on
1) thermal expansion
2) weight, pressure
3) Wind/seismic load
4) friction
5) thrust/impulse load

Software like Caesar make complicated calculation for us.

Posted by: learner

Re: about the displacement - 03/26/09 01:09 AM

Thanks for your reply.

My expression is not very clear. pls see my following further dscription"

when you enter the node, there will be an auxiliary screen is used to enter imposed displacements at up to two nodes per spreadsheet.

So I want to know how to decide these displacements but not the caculation reslut.

thanks.

Re: about the displacement - 03/26/09 02:02 AM

Displacement value of nozzle point / external interface point / settlement can be entered in model by using these auxiliary screen.
--- Nozzle displacement can be calculated based on equipment temperature or displacement value supplied by equipment vendor.
---- settlement value supplied by Civil/structure department, for large equipment settlement & support affected by settlement can be entered in model by CNODE.
Posted by: Shabeer

Re: about the displacement - 03/27/09 05:42 AM

Hi shr,

shall i give structural displacement for nozzle node or linear thermal expansion based on the design temperature.how i calculate initial displacement for pump and exchangers any procedure for calculation.

Re: about the displacement - 03/27/09 06:21 AM

Hi kavin

Calculate linear thermal expansion based on operating & design temperature corresponding to line operating & design temperature from anchor to nozzle point.

Mind that shell & tube type heat exchanger have different temperature for tube & shell.

Instead of calculating displacement manually you can model tank/exchanger/column as pipe piece with proper diameter & thickness caesar will take care of nozzle displacement.
For pump model rigid body of from pump cassine bottom to pump nozzle.

structural deflection normally not required.
You may go for composite analysis available in caesar to analyse piping with attached structural member.

Regards

Habib

Re: about the displacement - 03/30/09 06:47 AM

Hi habib,

thanks, how i model tank/exchanger/column as pipe piece.

Re: about the displacement - 03/30/09 07:12 AM

Hi kavin

Check Caesar's user & application guide.
Posted by: CraigB

Re: about the displacement - 03/30/09 10:57 AM

Those fields in the piping input are for external structures that impose displacements on nodes in your model, such as equpiment nozzles. They are rarely used for piping otherwise. Perhaps you might want to use them to analyze a maintenance issue where you broke a flanged joint and wanted to see if pulling the joint far enough apart to insert a paddle (for isolation of a part of the system) would cause permanent damage.

Don't worry, the system will otherwise calculate its own displacements - you don't have to calculate them!

Re: about the displacement - 04/05/09 01:21 AM

hi craigb
how i system calculate? i doing analysis for offshore piping. It has an og and sag?