Y-branch

Posted by: david.zhu

Y-branch - 05/23/08 01:14 PM

Could you tell me how to model Y-branch as attached.

Thanks in advance.

David
Posted by: Serzed

Re: Y-branch - 05/23/08 11:01 PM

Hi david,

In my experience, model three segment in one intersection and input your SIF value.

Regards..
Posted by: Omdo

Re: Y-branch - 05/25/08 07:21 PM

...and input wall thickness for the Y-piece connector & also type of connection in SIF/Tee type in Caesar II.

seize the day

Re: Y-branch - 05/26/08 05:16 AM

Thanks.

But how to calculate the SIF value?
Posted by: Serzed

Re: Y-branch - 05/26/08 06:15 AM

You can use the search engine of this furom to look for SIF and find some good books given from our elder's grin...

But for some reason Y-branch is just one problem that special software will be use..

Regards,.
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: Y-branch - 05/26/08 09:06 AM

David,

You're outside the scope of the B31 Codes, they don't address this fitting. You have two options to approach this accurately:

1) Ask the vendor for the SIFs, or
2) Use specialized software and perform a finite element analysis to analytically determine the SIFs.

There is a 3rd option, change the piping system and avoid using this fitting...

Re: Y-branch - 05/27/08 05:49 AM

Richard,

Thank you for your reply.

This is nuclear class 1 pipe. The available code is ASME III NB.

This is a small project. We have no budget to trace vendor or to calculate SIFs.

As your experience, how much the SIF is (conservatively) ?

Regards,

David
Posted by: MoverZ

Re: Y-branch - 05/27/08 07:09 AM

No budget for what are clearly essential calculations ....... Class 1 nuclear ........ Does that make sense ? What kind of project is this ?

Don't rely on the opinion of contributors to this forum to provide non-code SIF's, that data will not stand up in a fatal accident enquiry.

Get onto PRG (FE-Pipe)or other FE code supplier, otherwise this might be a project you will be scrubbing from your CV, one day in the future.
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: Y-branch - 05/27/08 07:14 AM

Quote:
As your experience, how much the SIF is (conservatively) ?

There is no Code fitting applicable to your situation. So using anything from the Code might be miles off base. I can't provide any numbers here.