How to change the page length in report

Posted by: roveran

How to change the page length in report - 06/18/00 11:12 PM

I have tried to change the page length in output report.
I followed the instruction of T3-98(change Initial.inp file), but it doesn't effect.

How can I change the page length(of output report) in Caesar II?
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: How to change the page length in report - 06/19/00 11:09 AM

Unfortunately, with the Windows versions of CAESAR II, you can't change the page length. The number of lines per page is acquired directly from the printer device context, supplied by the operating system.

The particular line of data that you are refering to (in INITIAL.INP) is ignored by the software as of Version 4.00.

------------------
Regards,
Richard Ay (COADE, Inc.)
Posted by: Andrew Weighell

Re: How to change the page length in report - 07/05/00 03:52 PM

It IS possible to vary both the page length and margins. Before I explain, I will have a whinge.

Previous support from COADE has been excellent. 11/10. On page length and margins it was appalling. Had I spent over $10,000 purchasing Caesar and a couple of thousand each year on support, I would have been frothing at the mouth. Part printed pages with data cut out by punching / binding holes is not acceptable for such a high tech product. Margins and page length could be controlled in DOS from day 1.

(The printer could be set up to fix the margins / page length - however, most printers these days are networked and IT Depts do not like Stress Engineers playing with their toys).

The "excuse" given was reminded me of a song from 1st grade. "There's a hole in my bucket dear Lisa - well fix it dear Henry etc etc ". I'll not say more.

A method of varying page length and margins is as follows :

1. Set up a "Generic/Text printer" under Windows 9x. (I can't remember the full details but somewhere it needs to "print to file" as a default. Printing to a network printer with the Generic printer driver will cause problems).

2. Run through the Caesar calc. On new versions of Caesar it may be possible to print at this point to the generic text printer. On 4.10 it won't print the input echo unless you reverse out of the results and go back in again.

3. Print to a file using the Generic Text Printer (GTP) driver. Within the GTP the margins / page length can be set prior printing.

4. Close the Caesar output. Open file just created using MS Word. Modify the file format in Word to match the margins in the GTP. i.e. To ensure the pages are not split.

5. Print the file to a printer. In Word, the pages can be selected. e.g. The famous Caesar blank pages can be omitted.

To simplify the process, use the same print file name for all calcs (over write each time). A short cut can be created to open this file in Word.

Create a macro and keyboard short cut in Word to format the pages.

Once set up the procedure is very simple and quick. It also adds functionality not available in Caesar to select pages for printing as well as trapping printouts made in error.

Best of Luck

Andrew Weighell

[This message has been edited by Andrew Weighell (edited July 05, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Andrew Weighell (edited July 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Andrew Weighell (edited July 06, 2000).]
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: How to change the page length in report - 07/08/00 10:15 AM

Starting with CAESAR II 4.20, the user has the option of creating/viewing/printing custom reports using the optional ODBC export utility. This utility exports the CAESAR II static analysis results to an MS Access database where template reports are provided. These reports can be customized (fonts changed, margins changed etc.) to a users preference. Details are provided in the program documentation.

The user can even create their own custom report although they have to be somewhat familiar with MS Access. A detailed article about creating these reports is scheduled to appear on the upcoming edition of COADE's Mechanical Engineering Newsletter. Watch your mailbox or this site for it!

As always, we at COADE strive to improve our software and take into account user feedback when we plan future enhancements. Thanks.

------------------
--
Regards,
Pat Jenakanandhini
Engineer/Developer
COADE Inc.