Import point data from Solidworks?

Posted by: Tim G.

Import point data from Solidworks? - 01/23/08 07:36 AM

Hello,

Just wondering if it is possible to import 3D point data (points in 3D space) from Solidworks? I would like to make a 3D sketch line drawing and then import into C2. Only the element displacements will be imported and this is fine, I will fill in the remaining spreadsheet entries manually.

Thanks
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: Import point data from Solidworks? - 01/23/08 08:41 AM

Ask Solidworks if they export a c2 neutral file? If not, can they export a PCF file?

If you can create one of these files, c2 can import it.
Posted by: Jouko

Re: Import point data from Solidworks? - 01/23/08 09:42 AM

I doubt that you can do that. If I understand you correctly you plan to export sketch only. That means you do not have any pipes and fittings. Check what Richard says. I have taken SolidWorx models (sometimes with difficulty) into AutoCAD/CadWorx. There you can make 3D polyline and autoroute it. Such line is easy to get to CAESAR II. Only problem is that you need AutoCAD and CadWorx.

If I remember correctly SolidWorx has pipe module. Instead of the sketch only try making pipeline and then try Richard's proposal.

Good luck.

Re: Import point data from Solidworks? - 01/23/08 12:39 PM

PCF, short for?

Thanks

Tim
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: Import point data from Solidworks? - 01/23/08 12:43 PM

PCF is a standard file format exported by most CAD system for ISOGEN.

Re: Import point data from Solidworks? - 01/23/08 01:24 PM

Thanks Richard, it seems Solidworks does export PCFs. Now we just have to match our routing creation that will play nice with C2. Some effort will be required.

Thanks again.