Modelling large radius roping of piping.

Posted by: GGM

Modelling large radius roping of piping. - 11/08/07 09:26 AM

I have always struggled on how to model long radius (roping) bends in piping. After building the model to match the pipeline layout, I’ll use the break command to add in my supports. That’s when I get an error message indicating the elements are not large enough for the radius.

I’ve discovered that by using the underground modeler I can fake burry the bend, it will break the curve and keep my desired radius. I then delete the underground bi linear restraints and replace with my above ground supports.

Does anyone see any other way to model the large radius bends? Is my approach the best way to model long radius bends in Caesar?
Posted by: Muthu S

Re: Modelling large radius roping of piping. - 11/08/07 09:37 AM

presuming the supports are located on the large radius bends, define bend node points at appropriate angle to model the supports.
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: Modelling large radius roping of piping. - 11/08/07 09:43 AM

Yours is the best way. Read the article "Hidden Gems in c2 " in this Newsletter Article. It starts on page 23.
Posted by: vyanky

Re: Modelling large radius roping of piping. - 03/17/13 01:46 PM

Richard,

Link for the newsletter is not showing correct file.
Can you please let me know the updated location of this file?
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: Modelling large radius roping of piping. - 03/17/13 07:48 PM

See if this link works. The article is in the June 2000 issue. You can find the Newsletters under the "Support" menu selection.
Posted by: vyanky

Re: Modelling large radius roping of piping. - 03/18/13 11:21 AM

Thanks Richard.
Posted by: Jop

Re: Modelling large radius roping of piping. - 03/18/13 05:23 PM

GGM, you wrote:
"long radius (roping) bends in piping"
I have never heard this word/term (roping) before and I do not find a definition for it online.
What does it mean?