HOOP STRESS

Posted by: Maurice

HOOP STRESS - 04/09/03 04:35 AM

I' am new in using CAESAR II. Could someone help me to take out the result of hoop stress analysis ? Therefore I can determine the wall thickness of pipe is sufficient or not.
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: HOOP STRESS - 04/09/03 07:12 AM

Assuming you are running Version 4.40, you can get the proper minimum wall thickness requirement from the "Miscellaneous Report" of the ouput menu.

The minimum wall thickness calculation (which varies by code) is computed during error checking. Note that the flexibility analysis always uses your input value of thickness. This minimum thickness calculation is for information only.
Posted by: Maurice

Re: HOOP STRESS - 04/10/03 01:03 AM

I am using older version than 4.40. If I thick the 132 column yes the hoop stress is appear, but not like AutoPipe there is no conclusion that this hoop stress is acceptable or not. And I can not find the minimum wall thickness required.
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: HOOP STRESS - 04/10/03 10:06 AM

Unless you are running one of the offshore codes, there is no allowable for the hoop stress.

As to the minimum wall thickness computation, from the Static Output Menu, click the Miscellaneous Report option as shown in this figure ...

Next, scroll the report down until you find the report titled "Pipe Report 1". The minimum wall thickness is at the far right, as shown in this figure ...