how to reduce effect of water hammer

Posted by: nikhilsaiba

how to reduce effect of water hammer - 06/26/07 02:16 AM

I am working as analysis engineer. In one project there is a 96" cooling water line. I am not understanding how to reduce the water hammer effect in this line. Please give me some suggestions for this problem.
Posted by: B.Suresh kumar

Re: how to reduce effect of water hammer - 06/27/07 09:01 PM

decreasing no of elbows may help u

regards

B.Suresh Kumar
Posted by: nikhilsaiba

Re: how to reduce effect of water hammer - 06/28/07 02:30 AM

thank u sir
i will follow ur advise. but the flexibility of the pipe is reducing by decreasing the elbows
Posted by: Jouko

Re: how to reduce effect of water hammer - 06/28/07 09:39 AM

Some reading. May not help in this case:
http://www.nesc.wvu.edu/ndwc/pdf/OT/TB/TB_Wi03_Water_Hammer.pdf
Posted by: Rajinder Singh

Re: how to reduce effect of water hammer - 06/28/07 09:14 PM

What type of supporting you have considered? can you send me sketch.
Posted by: anindya stress

Re: how to reduce effect of water hammer - 06/30/07 03:10 PM

If you do Time History analysis or Spectrum analysis, remember that you have to extract higher modes to a sufficient degree may be in the range 200-300 Hz as the stiff axial modes get excited in in Water Hammer Loads.

Also if you are using Joukowski eqn. to compute the dp i.e. pressure rise, you may get very high values, which actually may not be the case.Try to consult Hydraulics group of your company for more realistic dp values.It basically requires numerical solution of the Transient Bernoulli's eqn.

Controlling valve closure time in conjunction to the above method ( to be done in co-ordination with Hydraulics group) is the best possible solution to this problem.

Best Regards
Posted by: Mr. Shrimp

Re: how to reduce effect of water hammer - 08/12/07 09:05 AM

The water hammer is an event produced to sundenly close the valve. Generally this valve is a check valve.
If you reduce the time of closing, diminishes the variaton of the
amplitude of shock wave, therefore diminishes the forces in you fitting, supports and nozzles.

I recommend you to use a nozzle check and a water hammer shock absorber Tank in the line that produces water hammer event.

If you want to talk more about this subject, send me a e-mail

Posted by: John C. Luf

Re: how to reduce effect of water hammer - 08/12/07 11:14 AM

Self education at the least is required on your part I strongly suggest a cover to cover study of http://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Transients-P...86938774&sr=1-2
Posted by: sam

Re: how to reduce effect of water hammer - 08/13/07 11:14 AM

Better take help from any nearby engineering school. Self education in such area will take time.

Also, as a true professional, be careful about what you do! If due to your error, such a 96" CW line bursts, think about the consequences!

I have seen such a professional child who couldn't complete an addition I gave him to do. He had the book open in front with the sum already carried out in example. When I asked why he didn't copy, he replied, I came here to learn maths, not to cheat!

regards,

sam
Posted by: Sergio Antonio Rivera

Re: how to reduce effect of water hammer - 06/20/08 10:52 AM

Mr. Shrimp,

Do you have a technical specification of a "Water Hammer Shock Absorber Tank"? I will appreciate a lot if you can send me an information.

Thanks,

Seranto
Posted by: John Breen

Re: how to reduce effect of water hammer - 06/20/08 01:46 PM

Google pulsation dampeners

http://www.liquid-dynamics.com/animations/shock-alleviators.htm