SIF

Posted by: Moorthi

SIF - 06/24/07 08:39 PM

I m getting the message in Warning "30 the fitting has a D/t ratio greater than 100. SIF computations for this fitting may be inval" even after i activated the Brach Flexibility. How to avoid this warning.
Posted by: John C. Luf

Re: SIF - 06/24/07 09:40 PM

Use heavier schedule pipe!

What do you think D/t ratio is????? Its the OD / t read the online help and the code instead of simply typing questions in this forum do some independent study and learning!
Posted by: Moorthi

Re: SIF - 06/25/07 06:47 AM

Hi john, using heavier schedule pipe is ok..but for 2020 dia pipe with 0.08kscg...10 thick is more enough....i activated the Brach Flexibility..but i m getting the warning message as "the fitting has a D/t ratio greater than 100. SIF computations for this fitting may be inval" pls...give me a solution..how to avoid this warning message
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: SIF - 06/25/07 06:57 AM

From B31.3-2006, Table D300, Note 1:

Quote:
Stress intensification and flexibility factor data in Table D300 are for use in the absence of more directly applicable data (see para. 319.3.6). Their validity has been demonstrated for D/T <= 100.

So, if you take your pipe outer diameter, and divide it by your pipe wall thickness the result is the D/t ratio. This value must be less than 100 to avoid the warning.
Posted by: yani

Re: SIF - 06/25/07 01:19 PM

Hi Moorthi,
just make a search a find this topic "Satisfying D/T ratio for Large diameter fittin "
Regards
Yani
Posted by: anubha

Re: SIF - 06/26/07 04:56 AM

Richards reply gives the details from the code. The error in caesar is due to the code requirements.
Further to that when the D/t ratio is greater than 100 calculate the SIF for the branch connetion in FEPIPE or Nozzlepro and input the same in your caesar input.