Breen droppings

Posted by: John Breen

Breen droppings - 05/02/07 07:20 AM

Hello all,

Many years ago I would, on occasion, anonymously drop copies of interesting (to piping engineers) papers/articles on the desks of my colleagues. One of my colleagues (Craig who?) began to refer to these as "Breen droppings".

I found this EPRI document on the Internet whilst on an early morning search for truth and beauty and in the tradition of "Breen droppings" I would share it with those who might be interested.

"Background of SIF and Stress Indices for Moment Loadings of Piping Components", by Ed Wais, based upon work by Ed Wais and E.C. Rodabaugh.

www.epriweb.com/public/000000000001012078.pdf

.....and there are other very interesting publications for the piping engineering student (and I hope that includes all of us) to be found at:

www.epriweb.com/public/000000000001006905.pdf
(Investigation of Torsional Stress Intensification Factors and Stress ...)

and
www.epriweb.com/public/000000000001006867.pdf
(Stress Indices for Circumferential Fillet Welded and Socket Welded Joints)

Regards, John.
Posted by: Siv

Re: Breen droppings - 05/02/07 05:18 PM

Mr. Breen,
Thanks for your kindness to share your knowledge with you.

Best Regards
Siv
Posted by: Ravi Babu

Re: Breen droppings - 05/02/07 11:36 PM

Breen

You are doing a nice thing by sharing the Information among us . Hope everyone of us cultivate this attitude which will transform this society as a whole for its betterment.

Regards

Ch Ravi Kumar
Posted by: sam

Re: Breen droppings - 05/03/07 02:22 AM

BreenSir,

Thank You Very Much for the 'Breen Droppings'. Your helping attitude will surely make our World safer!

Many of us,commoners in piping stress, don't take SIFs seriously in piping stress & FEA analyses due to inadequate understanding.

regards,

sam
Posted by: ozm

Re: Breen droppings - 05/05/07 03:24 AM

THANKS A MILLION
Posted by: bom

Re: Breen droppings - 10/24/07 07:46 PM

Am I missing something? I cant open the link... please anyone have a copy can share?
thank you...

Regards!

Re: Breen droppings - 10/24/07 07:50 PM

I think its okay... i thought it was deleted. I was looking for this kind of paper...
Thank you very much Sir John laugh

Regards!
Posted by: 97S281_27

Re: Breen droppings - 10/25/07 08:10 AM

Thanks so much Mr. Breen for sharing those with us. As a young engineer starting out in the pipe stress field (just under a years experience now) i'm always looking for related material to read and get a better understanding of this field.

THANKS

Re: Breen droppings - 10/26/07 08:55 AM

Hello all,

You are welcome.

Also, if you go to this link:

http://homepages.strath.ac.uk/~clas16/16426mas.htm

You will find "download-able" class notes that will explain a lot about

The Design of Pressurized Systems

Remember to thank Professor David Nash

Regards, John
Posted by: CraigB

Re: Breen droppings - 10/26/07 10:43 AM

Even after all these years I am stunned by the wisdom to be found in "Breen Droppings."
Posted by: Dylan

Re: Breen droppings - 10/26/07 11:23 AM

Thanks Mr.Breen, it must be a senior engineer like you that make this piping engineer "world" becomes more better than ever. I hope the Breen Droppings will always give a good motivation and knowledge like a new piping engineer like me.
Posted by: liam`

Re: Breen droppings - 10/26/07 03:21 PM

Thanks John! And to Professor Nash.

Re: Breen droppings - 10/29/07 05:58 AM

Hi again,

Does everybody have a copy of this? (Overview of Process Plant Piping Systems):

http://files.asme.org/asmeorg/Governance/Volunteer/CareerSeries/9655.pdf

This is a .pdf (adobe) file so just download it and read it.

Regards, John

Re: Breen droppings - 10/29/07 08:14 PM

Hi Sir Breen,

GOOD DAY!!!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

This is a great help for us (as a new comer)... Your post plays a vital rule of opening our eyes to infinite knowledge behind stress engineering... I want to help others to, by suggesting that this topic shall be a STICKY topic.

I hope Sir Richard will grant my suggestion…

Posted by: Enigmatic

Re: Breen droppings - 11/02/07 07:58 AM

Hi All,
I am just born in the field of piping stress analysis. Trying to learn from knowledgeable persons discussing on COADE or Eng-Tips.
We do not do stress analysis but i am motivated to learn this field.

The help like "Breen's droppings" are very helpful for people like me. May be at this stage i cannot understand the articles but later definitely they will provide insight into the subject.
The good thing is that whenever i come on this post i find new dropping's.
I think "dropping's" is not the correct word to refer it. For me/us it is a gift at present "DIWALI" gift.
I heartly appreciate the role of persons like Mr John who are transfering the knowledge which they have acquired to the engineers of tomorrow who will be responsible for making these systems. under their guidance i hope we will live upto their expectations.
Thanks Sir John!!!

Anoop
Posted by: PipingDesignGuy

Re: Breen droppings - 11/04/07 12:09 AM

I met Mr. Breen for the first time this year in Seattle. He is a very soft-spoken individual, extremely knowledgeable and can follow satellite directions if not shouted at from everyone else in the car.

Paul
Posted by: SUPERPIPER

Re: Breen droppings - 11/13/07 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: PipingDesignGuy
I met Mr. Breen for the first time this year in Seattle. He is a very soft-spoken individual, extremely knowledgeable and can follow satellite directions if not shouted at from everyone else in the car.

Paul

grin
Posted by: John C. Luf

Re: Breen droppings - 11/13/07 06:31 AM

Johns only fault is he's from Pittsburgh the home of the arch nemesis to the Cleveland Browns FC the Picksburgh (Spelled as the natives would refer to it)Steelers
Posted by: Omdo

Re: Breen droppings - 04/02/08 01:11 AM

awesome, Breen. you're amazing!
Those links you gave us are really the things i was looking for. I even inducted my junior to get any breen's dropping to hone their skill especially in piping world.
well then i must say "magnificent!
Posted by: Shahid Rafiq

Re: Breen droppings - 04/04/08 01:33 PM

Mr. John Breen is a genius of piping and is very kind (and always ready) to share his knowledge with all of us (who are trying to learn piping engineering). I salute him and thank him. I am and shall always be a fan of Mr. Breen.
Posted by: Sam Manik

Re: Breen droppings - 04/07/08 04:51 AM

Dear Breen,

Hope this pdf files are useful as our reference in anytime. Keep sharing to us. Thank you very much.