Units File Operations

Posted by: 007

Units File Operations - 02/03/23 09:28 AM

Hello,
I wanted to input a tube Out-side Diameter (OD) information (2") which is different than regular pipe OD (2.375") (different than NPS).
Based on CAESAR II User Guide , I had to create a new Units File and modify the Auto Convert and turn it off. So I gave the new unit file a new name and saved the file.
New file is there to pick from the configuration editor, and you can see it in the project folder. But in the Configuration Editor, once I pick it and hit save and exit, then software again convers my tube OD inputs to pipe NPS real OD, lets say if I type 2" and hit enter, it still converts to 2.375 ,which I dont want to do it. And if I go back and check the configuration editor, it shows a default Unit file (English) has been selected and so it does not take my created Unit File. What's wrong? can you help on that, please.
Thank you.
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: Units File Operations - 02/03/23 09:42 AM

Changing the units file doesn't affect existing input files (models). I presume you haven't gotten too far with this, just start a new model and it should work as you expect.

If the model already exists, and has a lot of elements where rebuilding would to time consuming, there is a utility (off the Utility menu) that you can use to convert an existing model to a new set of units.

Re: Units File Operations - 02/03/23 12:06 PM

Hello Richard,
Thanks for your response, what kind of utility? and where I can access to it? I appreciate your time.

Re: Units File Operations - 02/03/23 03:27 PM

Richards,
Other thing is even I open a new file, and chose a new configuration file with newly built Units File, it still does not give me an option to change the Unit File set up. It is locked, check the screen shots attached.
Thank you

Re: Units File Operations - 02/05/23 10:07 AM

When you select the new units file from the drop-list, does it appear in that dialog (above), for "Units File Name"?

Re: Units File Operations - 02/06/23 10:31 AM

On the Utilities tab, if I click on Create/Review Units , it will not appear to be reviewed or copied/created, although it is already created.
But Interestingly, in the configuration editor, it will appear in the following path:

Database Definition/Database/Units File name dropdown list

And even if I reselect this unit file and save my work, software will not use it, and will use English as default.

Re: Units File Operations - 02/06/23 04:38 PM

Ok, here is a wild guess: rename that new units file so it only has 8 characters. See if that makes a difference.

Re: Units File Operations - 02/07/23 11:16 AM

Yes, it worked, thank you.
I rename the file to max 8 character, (although the software user guide suggest max 15 characters)
As you suggested, I had to open a new Caesar 2 file that the new unit file can be used in it from start. I picked the new unit file, saved the new Caesar 2 file, and later I imported all my existing 3d model into the new Caesar 2 file.
Now I am able to use non nominal pipe sizes example (2.000") and it wont convert it automatically to a nominal pipe size (2.375"). Thanks for helping me.

Re: Units File Operations - 02/14/23 05:09 PM

Just few more specific questions,

Does created Unite file need to be in the same folder location as the C2 model?

Or, Should I keep new unit files at a specific folder where I can store my other unit files , such as a personal library folder ?

If I copy the 3d model to a new location, will the new C2 file read from the original unit file ? or a new unit file has to be copied along with the new C2 file into the new location?

Thank you very much.

Re: Units File Operations - 02/15/23 12:19 PM

When you create a units file, it is stored in the local data directory. Only job files in that specific data directory have access to this (new) units file.

If you want global access to a newly created units file, copy it to the \System directory for that version(s) of c2.
Posted by: danb

Re: Units File Operations - 02/27/23 01:00 PM

Note that if you use a custom unit file, if you intend to send the caesar file to a client, it is better to keep that unit file in the calculation folder and to send to the client with the caesar file and the config file.

Re: Units File Operations - 02/28/23 09:47 PM

Yes indeed - also the ".cfg" file from the data directory.