Reactor Piping Supporting

Posted by: Borzki

Reactor Piping Supporting - 04/12/22 09:51 AM

Hello Fellow Stressers!!

Is it allowed to weld a cleat support in reactor for vertical riser piping?

Thanks,

Re: Reactor Piping Supporting - 04/13/22 09:24 AM

We're on the same page in this case.

Cheers!
Posted by: danb

Re: Reactor Piping Supporting - 04/13/22 11:08 AM

What kind of reactor?

Is it inside a structure? if it is, then no. Use the structure.
Does it have ladders and platforms welded on it? if yes, then maybe.. ask reactor manufacturer.
If no ladders and platform and not inside a structure, then use the skirt to support the riser on the lower elbow by asking the manufacturer to add bracket on the skirt.

The question is too vague.

Re: Reactor Piping Supporting - 04/13/22 11:16 AM

Thanks danb. I thought there is really something special to it because I've heard about it.

Anyway, I'll cross the bridge when I get there. So far not yet analyzing such system.

Cheers!!
Posted by: Edward Klein

Re: Reactor Piping Supporting - 05/09/22 01:08 PM

If it's something that's already existing that you are adding/modifying pipe on as part of a revamp....that's going to be a challenge.

IF it is being designed as fabricated as part of the project you are working, then you should be able to coordinate with the equipment engineer to get attachments included to support your piping.

Re: Reactor Piping Supporting - 05/10/22 10:07 AM

Thanks for the advice. That's correct, in the end it's the Vendor who will be responsible to qualify according to Code requirements. But is thermal gradient possible in the reactor to cleat connection which can cause thermal fatigue?

Warm Regards,