Feature Request - Restraint Input

Posted by: anubis512

Feature Request - Restraint Input - 12/17/19 08:14 AM

For large models, it would be convenient if you could "build" restraint types and then input the total restraint to each node.

Example:
For a particular node with a U-bolt support w/ gaps, the current method would be to input +Y, -Y w/ gap, and Guide w/ gap and friction as applicable.

Proposed Feature:
It would be nice if you could build a restraint database and create a "U-bolt w/ gap" type restraint. Then you would select this built restraint at each node instead of having to input all three separate restraints at each node.
Posted by: Michael_Fletcher

Re: Feature Request - Restraint Input - 12/17/19 12:02 PM

I would argue that such a template could be size dependent. The gap on a 1" pipe would not necessarily be the same as the gap on a 4" pipe.

Though if it becomes really that tedious to do, what I currently do is I'll model the first one and just duplicate it a couple dozen times, changing dimensions, removing restraints, adding bends, etc.
Posted by: anubis512

Re: Feature Request - Restraint Input - 12/17/19 12:56 PM

True, but it'd still be easier to copy/paste the gap for a different pipe sizes compared to inputting the three restraints.

And that's true, I didn't think about that approach. I just got done modeling a 2.5 mile transfer pipe, which was done based on survey data so duplicating elements wouldn't be very easy due to the inconsistent nature of the deltas.
Posted by: Sigma

Re: Feature Request - Restraint Input - 12/17/19 11:19 PM

Although, the feature you are proposing would be certainly useful, I would like to add to Michael s response.
Another method would be to create element with long length; breaking it into multiple nodes and defining the node identifying that restraint location with Get support from node field and then editing the geometry, restraints etc. to suit.