CAESAR 2019's North Arrow

Posted by: Michael_Fletcher

CAESAR 2019's North Arrow - 08/08/19 09:15 AM

I don't see a way to specify in the config file what the default direction for the North Arrow should be. While not as important as the Z axis, this seems like it would be helpful to be able to set at the local config file (so it can be copy+pasted throughout a given project) or even at the basic program level.

Also, it seems strange to me the default North arrow direction is now -Z, when previously it was always -X before (considering common practice + CAESAR's ISO outputs).

Thanks
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: CAESAR 2019's North Arrow - 08/08/19 12:43 PM

You're right, this setting should be in the Configuration file.

The default was changed due to the complaints/requests we received. Most users wanted -Z.

Re: CAESAR 2019's North Arrow - 08/08/19 02:28 PM

Well, you have my full permission to slap my hand if I ever use "but that's how we've always done it" as a reason to resist change.
Posted by: NAG

Re: CAESAR 2019's North Arrow - 08/14/19 03:14 AM

There is no option to change north direction in configuration file.
only in special execution parameter have that option right?

Re: CAESAR 2019's North Arrow - 08/14/19 08:12 AM

At present time, this is correct.
Posted by: Edward Klein

Re: CAESAR 2019's North Arrow - 08/19/19 08:32 AM

I just discovered this myself today. I had to reopen 2018 to make sure I hadn't missed something.

You know, all those of us who have been happily working the last couple of decades with North = -X never thought we needed to say anything to keep it. I wasn't even aware this was a controversial topic until 10 minutes ago.

I agree this needs to be a configuration setting. At least for now I can tell my folks to change it...every time...in the special execution parameters. It hard enough getting my folks to roll to a new version as it is.
Posted by: Stack_cl

Re: CAESAR 2019's North Arrow - 08/21/19 04:34 PM

Hi,

In some projects, I want to make an orthogonal model for simplicity to draw, insert restranints or read the loads; but the north is not orthogonal to the model, so I want to hide the north or show it in the actual direction, but I cannot do it. It is just shown in +/-X, +/-Y or +/-Z axis.

thank you
Posted by: Faizal K

Re: CAESAR 2019's North Arrow - 08/21/19 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Stack_cl
Hi,

In some projects, I want to make an orthogonal model for simplicity to draw, insert restranints or read the loads; but the north is not orthogonal to the model, so I want to hide the north or show it in the actual direction, but I cannot do it. It is just shown in +/-X, +/-Y or +/-Z axis.

thank you

You can hide the north arrow. Go to Configuration Editor>Graphic Settings, under Visual Options set "North Direction" to False. You may have to close and reopen the input processor to see the effect.
Posted by: Stack_cl

Re: CAESAR 2019's North Arrow - 08/22/19 06:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Faizal K
Originally Posted By: Stack_cl
Hi,

thank you

You can hide the north arrow. Go to Configuration Editor>Graphic Settings, under Visual Options set "North Direction" to False. You may have to close and reopen the input processor to see the effect.

Excellent!!! thank you for the information!!