Posted by: Wolfgang13

Pressure SIF - 12/08/16 07:02 AM

Hello,

i´m evaluating a Y-Piece with following dimensions

Header NPS20"(wall thickness 4mm)
Branch 12" (wall thickness 3mm)
tilt angle 45°
Pressure 4,0 barg

In my CaesarII calculation with Sif from the ASME B31.3 as unreinforced Tee, there are no Problems !
Maximum Ratio of 50% from allowable Stress (incl. SUS/EXP Loadcases).

Due to PED regulations i did some alternative calculation (only inner pressure) according AD-2000 and also with Nozzle Pro.
In this Evaluation the Y-Piece Fails (mare than 400% Ratio from allowable)

I recalculated with CaesarII and the SIF´s from Nozzle Pro for Header and Branch. --> no Stress exceedance !!!

From Nozzle Pro there is a Pressure SIF, this SIF box in Caesar II is inactive!?!?

Why is this box deactivated ?
Is there a possibility to activate this pressure SIF box in Caesar II?
With this pressure SIF there should be a realistic Evaluation of the Y-Piece ?!?! is this correct ?

Or is there something i missed in my mind.

(Ver.:8.00.00.5600 Build 150930)

Hope somebody can help me !
Thanks in Advance !

Wolfgang
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: Pressure SIF - 12/08/16 08:17 AM

At the moment the Piping Codes are silent on the proper use of a pressure SIF/Index. Initial work with PRG indicates this value can be very high, so at this time the axial SIF/Index is used.
Posted by: Wolfgang13

Re: Pressure SIF - 12/08/16 08:57 AM

Thank you for your quick response !

Please correct me if i understand this wrong:

ASME B31.3 Code compliant Evaluation is without pressure SIF!
(even though Axial SIF (3) <<< Pressure SIF (29))

So there is no realistic evaluation in Caesar II possible ?
(Pressure SIF box deactivated)
Caesar II is evaluating this Branch with tilt angle 45° "better" than a Tee.

Due to European regulations i will go ahead with the Nozzle Pro calculation and increase the wall thickness. For Future Projects i will have an eye on this Topic.
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: Pressure SIF - 12/08/16 11:02 AM

c2 does what the Piping Codes say. At this moment the Codes do not address a separate pressure SIF/Index.

With regards to SIFs, c2 does not address laterals. A warning is issued and the user is responsible for the proper SIF value.

(You should check out FEATools, specifically the FEA option. This software from PRG does address laterals.)
Posted by: SJ

Re: Pressure SIF - 12/27/16 02:33 AM

Wolfgang,

I always prefer to provide the loads at the three ends of Y-piece to vendor and asks vendor to evaluate the stresses and design the Y-piece accordingly.

This is a safer mode to handle Y-piece when we have so many vagaries.

Be cautious to enter correct thicknesses for Y-piece for evaluating loads at its three ends.