Thermal expansion in ASME B31.1

Posted by: CAESARIII

Thermal expansion in ASME B31.1 - 03/04/14 05:57 AM

Dear all,

I've recently been reading code book, B31.1_2012, and out of the blue I'd feeling that I'd caught a glipmse of a guidline of which support we need to use when the thermal expansion exceed 100mm(4""). From my unclear memory it was sliding support or rigid support, but then again I suspect that it could be just a rule of thumb or company's regulation. Like my senior said, when horizontal thermal displacement above 3"" we need to check the interference to another line and don't use two anchors at a single straight line unless it has loop.

So, here is my question. Does B31.1 have any specific advice or regulation about thermal expansion and which support should we use at any particular situation?

It'd be helpful if there's any reply on this topic.

Thank you for reading,
Wish you have a good one.
Posted by: MoverZ

Re: Thermal expansion in ASME B31.1 - 03/04/14 08:01 AM

You coud read B31.1 properly yourself to get the answer.
Posted by: CAESARIII

Re: Thermal expansion in ASME B31.1 - 03/04/14 06:07 PM

You're right Moverz, it's my homework after all. But due to lack of my experiences in this field I couldn't be sure of myself. That's the problem.
Posted by: rileykyrra

Re: Thermal expansion in ASME B31.1 - 04/26/16 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: CAESARIII
Dear all,

I've recently been reading code book, B31.1_2012, and out of the blue I'd feeling that I'd caught a glipmse of a guidline of which support we need to use when the thermal expansion exceed 100mm(4""). From my unclear memory it was sliding support or rigid support, but then again I suspect that it could be just a rule of thumb or company's regulation. Like my senior said, when horizontal thermal displacement above 3"" we need to check the interference to another line and don't use two anchors at a single straight line unless it has loop.

So, here is my question. Does B31.1 have any specific advice or regulation about thermal expansion and which support should we use at any particular situation?

It'd be helpful if there's any reply on this topic.

Thank you for reading,
Wish you have a good one.

i think horizontal displacement more than 100mm (4") is a rule of thumb.
for us engineers to be careful of possible clashing, and effectiveness of support like shoe.

for example a 300mm length of shoe with more than 200mm displacement could be not so effective support at that point..