input WATER HAMMER in static model

Posted by: Jorge MB

input WATER HAMMER in static model - 09/25/13 08:27 AM

Hello again,

Please, find attached an example of a piping system. Considering water hammer effect because the valve at node 60.
I want to analize in a static model the pressure effect in my piping system. I consider that the wave return to the pipe and I have to introduce a force in each change of direction. I introduce the force "F" till no more restraint in the same dirección (the force F at node 50 is compensated by the restraint Rx at node 35, the force F at node 40 is compensated by the restraint Ry at node 35 and the force F at node 30 is compensated by the restraint Rz at node 35).

Do you think that is it a correct way to analize the water hammer in a static analysis?

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: Jorge MB

Re: input WATER HAMMER in static model - 09/26/13 04:39 AM

Could anyone tell me if consider this method as correct to analyze the water hammer in the piping system?

If not, how do you analyze the water hammer in a static model in CII?
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: input WATER HAMMER in static model - 09/26/13 07:40 AM

Analyzing a dynamic event in a psuedo-static manner involves a number of assumptions:

1) You're assuming the actual response of the system is dominated by a single degree of freedom. If this isn't true for your system, your results are "less than accurate". Unfortunately you won't know this unless you perform a dynamic analysis.

2) You'll be assuming a DLF (dynamic load factor) of 2, which is hopefully not too conservative. Again, you won't know this unless you perform a dynamic analysis.

3) You'll have to "walk" that force around your system. In any given load case, you only want the hammer force acting on one node.
Posted by: richardhansen

Re: input WATER HAMMER in static model - 10/01/13 03:11 PM

Jorge MB,

I recently read the following newsletter with an example of time history analysis (steam hammer due to sudden valve closure). It could be helpful even if you decide to perform a quasi static analysis.

http://www.coade.com/Uploads/mechanical-engineering-news/jun94.pdf

Also, if you have a pressure wave traveling upstream, I would expect the direction of the loads to be +X load @ node 60, -Y load @ node 50, +Z load @ node 40 and so on. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong at this point.