hi all....

Posted by: Le0nhart

hi all.... - 02/02/06 08:11 AM

hi all...
i am sorry, i am beginner here and want to know something.
if in 1 node i put 3 types of restraints which all are the same node number of course. then i want to put CNODE for input in displacement. so should i type all the CNODE number on all the 3 restraints or i can just put it in 1 CNODE?
i have so many restraints node which have to put displacement also and kinda lazy to type in. smile
thx.
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: hi all.... - 02/02/06 09:56 AM

The CNODE is an association of degrees of freedom. If you can remember this phrase, CNODES are easy.

The short answer to your question is "Yes", but I wouldn't do it that way. Instead, try this:

- Assuming you just want to displace the node, don't specify restraints at all, just define the displacements. This is because a displacement is a boundary condition, just like a restraint is a boundary condition. So if you want to displace a node (restraint) in XYZ, you would specify displacements in these three directions.

- If the restraint is a nozzle, all 6 degrees of freedom are restrained. If the nozzle displaces, you can specify the XYZ values as above, or maybe just XY. However, the other non-displaced degrees of freedom must have their displacement magnitude set to zero - otherwise these degrees of freedom are free - which is not the case for a nozzle.

- There are a number of examples in the Applications Guide on the use of CNODES. Check the section on modeling Vessel Nozzles.

CNODES are a very powerfull modeling construct in CAESAR II. It is worth your time and effort to study this subject.
Posted by: jbataga

Re: hi all.... - 02/02/06 10:17 AM

LeOnhart,

If your restraints have gaps, making them nonlinear, doing it the way you mentioned makes very good sense. I use this technique when I'm modeling bridge piping where the guides or u-bolts are not tight on the piping. In this way, I can model the displacement of the bridge and allow the pipe to slide through the restraint. It works rather well.

I hope this helps.