Constant Hanger in 10D bend

Posted by: GrizzLSU

Constant Hanger in 10D bend - 07/30/12 09:04 AM

I'm modeling a 10D bend in some 5" piping. I want to add a spring hanger 17.75 degress into the bend (say node 88). To check the coordinates of the point, I modeled a rigid from the bend node (88-1000). The coordinates of the rigid (node 1000) are listed as the intersection of the X and Y straight runs of the pipe bend. Is this a glitch in the system? How can I know that my support is in the correct location?
Posted by: C_Wilcox

Re: Constant Hanger in 10D bend - 07/30/12 12:48 PM

Out of curiosity I tried this. When I check the input echo (results screen) it always says the rigid starts at the intersection of the straight pipe pieces.
However if you do a simple project say a horozontal pipe to a long vertical, put your 10D bend in and support under the elbow with a rigid with +Y support. Now move the +Y the support to node 20, 19, 18 along the elbow and you will get increasing support forces as the moment arm shortens. This satisfied myself that the math is correct.
That said I could not determine a way to read coordinates from the output file.
CW
Posted by: Richard Ay

Re: Constant Hanger in 10D bend - 07/30/12 07:29 PM

In the Piping Input module, the only known bend coordinate is the tangent intersection point. The location of any additional bend nodes is not determined until the model passes through Error Checking.
Posted by: Ohliger

Re: Constant Hanger in 10D bend - 08/06/12 06:42 AM

Maybe can bend on bend model this solve ?