Topic Options
#72744 - 01/22/19 09:45 PM Platform and Clip Load Input on Horizontal Pressure Vessel
Ferdi99 Offline

Loc: Indonesia
Dear Sir,

I`m doing mechanical calculation for Horizontal Pressure Vessel, with ID 3000 mm and T/T 9000 mm. Our client requests to have maintenance platform at top of the vessel. With refer to the sketch given the platform size is about 9000 m x 3300 mm (L x W). Normally, as i`ve seen on Site for existing Pressure Vessel, this kind of platform is attached to the shell via clip, connected with bolting to the clip. So i plan to do the same. After modelling in PV Elite, i have some problems that i need advices here.
In PV Elite, the platform and the clip are in different menu. Platform load only weight (please correct me if i`m wrong) while Clip load there are sustain, expansion and occasional load. These loads shall be added otherwise there is red mark in the report saying "warning messages for WRC107 analysis. the analysis will not be possible until there are no errors".
My question, how to solve this issue. How to ensure that the platform transfer the load to the clip. Because, now the platform is like flying above the vessel, as i don`t find any menu to connect the platform to the clip.
Hope i can get any advice here.
Thank You Very Much for your kind attention.

#74479 - 02/26/20 02:25 AM Re: Platform and Clip Load Input on Horizontal Pressure Vessel [Re: Ferdi99]
raab Offline

Loc: Baku, Azerbaijan
Dear Ferdi99,

The answer is, you can not connect platform with clips in PV Elite in 3D view. Theoretically, the program performs localized WRC analysis by filling the required information in clip menu which mainly consists of geometrical and load input data. You may incorporate with your structural team members to work out the design of the vessel platform and finally you will be familiar with the shape and dimensions of all external attachments supporting the whole platform above. The Load input data for performing WRC analysis should also come from structural analysis. The reason for this is, it is not only the self weight of platform affecting onto the vessel wall, but there will be other design conditions to be considered from structural standpoint and apply to vessel for localized stress check.

The PV Elite use platform information for considering its approximate weight and add it to the overall vessel weight. Also, the platform dimensions are needed to calculate its wind area and thereafter, the wind loads during analysis.
You don't have to worry about load transfer between modeled platform and clips. As I have already mentioned above, the clips have individual approach in design.

I hope, this clarified your concern.

Thanks.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics