Topic Options
#11720 - 06/18/07 12:43 AM High Pressure Vessel Design.
Kazi Offline

Loc: Pakistan
Hello,
I am working on high pressure vessel( More than 20000psi). i am using ASME Section VIII div 3. but is doenot define complete design of parts of pre-stressed vessel. there are alot of ambiguities in my mind. like design of winding wire; wound around pre-stressed vessel, flanges used for this pressures, vessel cooling jacket calculation, vessel heads and shell calculations etc. can anybody tell me about this or refernce or any book?
best regards!

#11788 - 06/21/07 03:15 AM Re: High Pressure Vessel Design. [Re: Kazi]
Stan McKay Offline

Loc: UK
Kazi,

3 points

Firstly, as I'm sure you know, PVElite is not the tool to use for ASME VIII Div 3. I have never used Division 3 so here ends my practical knowledge, however...

Secondly, I'm going to quote from the code itself - "The Code is not a handbook and cannot replace education, experience, and the use of engineering judgment. The phrase engineering judgment refers to technical judgments made by knowledgeable designers experienced in the application of the Code." My apologies but your question suggests that you are not suitably "experienced". I would suggest that you or your organisation seek suitably experienced engineers to assist in this project. Otherwise you're at the wrong end of the learning curve which is no place to be if anything goes wrong.

Thirdly and out of curiosity I did a search on the ASME web site and found,

a) Your National University of Sciences & Technology in Rawalpindi looks like it may be able to offer assistance.

b) There is a publication (BOI - 2000 Criteria of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Section VIII, Division 3) which offers further explanation of the code. You can find it at,

BOI - 2000 Criteria of th...ision 3

Best of luck

#11797 - 06/21/07 09:07 AM Re: High Pressure Vessel Design. [Re: Kazi]
RobertACookPE Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
At that high a pressure I'd recommend making a full finite-element model of the whole vessel - to cover mounts, stiffener rings (they will behave differently than on a "normal" vessel with thinner walls), nozzle attachments, lugs, man hole/hand hole openings, etc. Nozzles will move differently also since the vessel walls are much thicker compared to the usual HP nozzles.

"Just applying higher ratios of the regular (lower pressure generic) rules" is not enough at that high a pressure. Yes, it is a higher price for engineering, but consider what happens when you need to rebuild the vessel (and attached piping) twice. And rebuild the plant it was inside of.

#11832 - 06/24/07 06:26 AM Re: High Pressure Vessel Design. [Re: RobertACookPE]
Kazi Offline

Loc: Pakistan
Dear members

Thanx all of u for ur advice.We r working on the project with experienced enginner but this is new type of work for us, on which our team has never worked,altough it is challenging.
Any Way ,i will take into consideration those advice and references (a & b)given by Stan Mckay Also.

Thankx
Best Regards
Kazi

Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics