Topic Options
#74769 - 06/15/20 01:34 PM Line Lists
Chill-N Offline

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
I understand that a fault in CADWorx a few releases ago was that it separates process lines between pieces of equipment that otherwise are functionality considered to be one process line. I hope that makes sense as I haven't tried it just yet.

QUESTION Is that the case in the latest release(s)?

Overall, has the line list functionality improved over the last 2-3 release?

This will be one of a few significant selling points to get us back on maintenance and function past August with the new licensing scheme.

OTHER SELLING POINT IN OUR COMPANY:

Ability to round-trip CADWorx P&ID drawing files without data loss when editing outside CADWorx.

YOUR SELLING POINTS (over AutoCAD Plant 3D) ARE APPRECIATED !!!

Otherwise, it's so long over here!

Edited by Chill-N (06/15/20 01:36 PM)

#74771 - 06/15/20 11:48 PM Re: Line Lists [Re: Chill-N]
Vanman Offline

Loc: JHB South Africa
Clint, I am not sure what fault you are talking about in the first question? Perhaps you could clarify.

Linelist functionality/reporting is a DB feature?

You cannot edit P&ID with regular CAD. This disconnects the database and causes all sorts of havoc with DB corruption etc. If the PID models are never going to be edited with CADWorx P&ID again, then I guess you could consider doing this.

#74772 - 06/16/20 04:27 AM Re: Line Lists [Re: Chill-N]
Chill-N Offline

Loc: Nashville, Tennessee
Vanman,

I probably have misspoke on the Db side of things. I now understand that AutoCAD Plant 3D runs on an integrated Db. Also, you can hear many sides and slants when comparing two software packages due to personal preferences.

My experiences: I have worked with and customized both CADWorx P&ID but only tested the Db side of things so far. Time for testing and customization is very limited here.

Before we switched to CADWorx, I also operated and customized what was an independent software, AutoCAD P&ID, working with the head of development due to lack of in-depth documentation at the time.
With AutoCAD P&ID to this day, you cannot even work with AutoCAD Plant 3D P&ID's without exporting them to 'vanilla'. Even then, the graphics get all out of whack when you do!

At least there is the possibility of editing P&ID's generated by CADWorx P&ID.

So, I must again delve into MS Access and its interaction with CADWorx P&ID Pro to really provide the line lists that most chemical engineers here desire. It is not a pristine, new plant being a century old this year and there are many other issues in which to deal before we get to refining things.

Thanks!

Moderator:  Dominik Hepp 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics