Topic Options
#50305 - 08/17/12 08:42 AM Importing 2013 Specs from one project to another.
Rod Abbott Offline

Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada
I am having problems with copying specs from one project to another (2013). It seems that I cannot use a different catalogue.

We keep the Specs and catalogues for each project separate (in order to keep a record of the project) but I cannot get the specs to reference the Project Catalogue, it only references the Main Catalogue. When I try to specify the new base, it gives me an 'Invalid File' message, and the reference does not change.

Any ideas?

PS, I know we can hard code the XML file, but I was hoping there were other ideas...

Thanks,
Rod

Edited by Rod Abbott (08/17/12 08:43 AM)

#50306 - 08/17/12 09:09 AM Re: Importing 2013 Specs from one project to another. [Re: Rod Abbott]
Dominik Hepp Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Rod:

When making a copy, I would recommend copying both the PRJ file as well as its linked catalog. The specification links are set up off the data table ID numbers in the base catalog not just the data table names. Hence when pointing it to a different catalog (even with same table names), the data table IDs will not match and as such the link cannot be established (Invalid File). When you copy the PRJ and its base catalog together and then edit the PRJ and base catalog for the new project as needed, the link will still be intact (catalog is a file copy, so contained IDs are identical) and any edits will affect that project only (since you are working off a copy).

Manual XML edits are strongly discouraged as they may result in corrupted data if not very cautiously performed.

We do have development plans to expose the data table ID numbers to the user in future versions of the SpecEditor in case the user does want to perform the above process through "Data Transfer" and manage the data table IDs through GUI (rather than XML). Precaution will still be needed to make sure data table IDs are not duplicated in that case.

Let me know if you have any questions.

#50307 - 08/17/12 10:31 AM Re: Importing 2013 Specs from one project to another. [Re: Rod Abbott]
Rod Abbott Offline

Ok, Thanks.

I have set up my manual to perform an import, but, I suppose I will do the Copy/Paste for now.

Any idea when the new GUI will be available?

#50339 - 08/20/12 07:48 AM Re: Importing 2013 Specs from one project to another. [Re: Rod Abbott]
Dominik Hepp Offline

This is currently scheduled for inclusion in R2, due for release later this year.

#50341 - 08/20/12 07:53 AM Re: Importing 2013 Specs from one project to another. [Re: Rod Abbott]
Vanman Offline

Loc: JHB South Africa
Originally Posted By: Rod Abbott
Ok, Thanks.

I have set up my manual to perform an import, but, I suppose I will do the Copy/Paste for now.

Transfer Data option may be batter option. Start new base catalog, transfer needed files with drag & drop. Works for Project files also

Way better than copy/paste.

#50352 - 08/21/12 08:11 AM Re: Importing 2013 Specs from one project to another. [Re: Rod Abbott]
Rod Abbott Offline

Tried the transfer, but the components still default back to the original catalogues. It seems that they have to fix this (as noted by Dom).

#50354 - 08/21/12 08:57 AM Re: Importing 2013 Specs from one project to another. [Re: Rod Abbott]
Dominik Hepp Offline

The intention is to expose the data table IDs through the user interface such that users can manage the data table IDs manually if necessary. This does not comprise a fix, rather additional UI functionality. PRJ specification components to catalog links are maintained through these data table IDs rather than the table name.

#50378 - 08/22/12 10:56 AM Re: Importing 2013 Specs from one project to another. [Re: Rod Abbott]
Dominik Hepp Offline

We have reviewed the above further in development planning and I wanted to provide you with an update of our discussions. Rather than exposing the data table IDs through UI (original intention), we will be implementing underlying functionality directly to "reconnect" specifications and catalogs whose data table IDs are missmatched. Instead of issuing an "Invalid file" error, this underlying functionality will automatically re-link specification components for which there exists a data table with the same name and same component class in the selected catalog, then report to the user on the results of this "connect new catalog" functionality.

Let me know if you have any questions/comments.

Moderator:  Dominik Hepp 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics