Topic Options
#44506 - 09/03/11 06:28 PM ProjectWise and .cfg
jamief44 Offline

Loc: Texas
We will be attempting to use ProjectWise document management system. Usually I just drop my .cfg in the active models folder, but I'm not sure how this will work since this system checks out a drawing/active model and drops on your c:drive to be worked on.

Anybody run into this, maybe give me some direction. Thanks

#44524 - 09/06/11 01:21 AM Re: ProjectWise and .cfg [Re: jamief44]
jamief44 Offline

To be more specific we would like to have the CADWorx models by all disciplines inside of our doc management system. I'm not sure if this is worth the effort as I was planning to have the isogen directory outside of the doc mgt system, and those files placed in ProjectWise after being generated.

#44847 - 09/21/11 12:24 AM Re: ProjectWise and .cfg [Re: jamief44]
Ricky Medley Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Soo.. you wan't to use a Bentley product with Intergraph... Hmm... Poke smile
Just kiddin.

It shouldn't be a problem.
What you have to work with is causing the correct cfg to be loaded per project. Projectwise can easily be scripted to copy the appropriate project cfg and (perhaps) overwrite the local version before opening the file. -- Unless you don't use databases and you only use one set of specs and libs, etc.

Another feature that might need to be turned on (or disabled, depending on how you look at it), is: The cfg has an entry for SaveLastProfileUsed=0. Would probably need to be changed to 1 unless you select a profile through ProjectWise.

#44973 - 09/27/11 03:01 PM Re: ProjectWise and .cfg [Re: jamief44]
mconaway Offline

You may want to look further into this prior to implementing such a program. With Model Files in such a system and checked out to an individuals c:/ drive you will not be live across all models while working. Meaning if you xref other models while working you will not see any changes made to that model while working. As far as Isogen you may want to relook at that also. If you default Isogen to output to somewhere like that you will have the designers placing all their test runs or bad isos into it while still working prior to being complete with those drawings. Just some food for thought in working drawing being place in a doc management system.

#45461 - 10/24/11 05:03 PM Re: ProjectWise and .cfg [Re: jamief44]
Ricky Medley Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
You are not correct about EDMS' (specifically PW) not handling live xref's. Projectwise addresses these x-ref concerns. AutoMeridian was the only one that was better, but I haven't seen the software for a while (5+ years).

You are right about ISO's, and ProjectWise handles this as well [or should I say doesn't handle this]. You can determine what and where, at a very granular level, how files are entered/mass imported/created. ISOGEN config files (if networked) would not be managed by ProjectWise (per se). But this is hardly the place for a full on EDMS discussion.

Who ever your dealing with can answer the non-CADWorx related concerns. Per CADWorx: It's associative application launcher is powerfull enough to script and accomplish a per client/job/database config "switcher".

Moderator:  Dominik Hepp 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics