I am presently working on one 40" vent line running from top of column which is around 30m high. This line is connected to an exchanger which is on a structre around 4.0 m away from column in horizontal direction and structre TOS is 26.0 m. The line operating temperature is 200 Deg. C, Line is SS material. The column temperature varies along its height. At column nozzle lvl I have a vertical expansion of around 62.0 mm The line comes from top of column , runs vertically around 3-4 m. and then gets connected runs horizontally around 4.0 m , then goes down 3.5 m and reaches exchanger top nozzle. I have put a pressure balanced expansion joint in vertical on column nozzle to absorb column growth ( which is vertical). The client is insisting on putting the joint in horizontal, and making it tied universal to reduce cost. But the processos licensor has objection to putting it in horizontal since that will lead to condensation of vapour.
I have few questions-
1. Is it abnormal to put pressure balanced bellow as I have put on column top ?
2. If the exchanger is put on springs then the bellow can be removed ( not needed in horizontal or vertical), but then the exchanger needs to be put on constant springs. Also other nozzles also move with the exchanger. The exchanger nozzle has 55.0 mm upward movement which gets transferred to exchnager lifting it up. All the connected piping will have to be made extensively flexible as the excahnger will pull the connected pipes upward by 55.0 mm. Is this option tried by anyone anywhere ?
Regards,
honest_stressman