Dear all,

I just want to ask it someone had experience analyzing an onshore, above ground pipeline systems, with multiple loops.

In our company, we designed multiple loops in our analysis to reduce overall displacement of the pipeline. However, I was informed that there is no need to provide an intermediate line stop in between each loops. Just letting it expand on its own is enough, since as they said, the pipeline is not as critical compared to in-plant piping systems.

For me I think the analysis is not gonna be accurate enough and conservative. Because the actual expansion of the pipe is not linear, and the position of the pipe might shift upon operation and also during different expansion cycles. Without a proper restraint holding the pipes, I'm less confident that the analysis we simulate in Caesar will be close enough to what's gonna happen in real pipeline operation. However, they have mentioned that this kind of approach has been done and followed for a long time. Even for lines with slug flow, they don't implement the use of line stops as long as the analysis is acceptable in Caesar, and with the slug force included in the analysis.

Any one can share their thoughts regarding this? Any possible bad effect you can foresee with this approach?

Thank you all in advance.

Edited by leo81457 (02/08/22 12:03 PM)