In our Stress Analysis - Hanger Report, the horizontal movement of the spring is 19mm, suspecting the horizontal movement is more. I preferred to go for an option of “Large Rotation Rods – Spring Hangers” as per Caesar-II – Application Guide, Chapter-3 Restraints.

As briefed in the application guide, I modeled the large rotation rod by including the following input,

From Spring Hanger Report (Piping Technology Catalog),

Spring Rate is 1051 N/cm
Cold Load is 10530 N
Hot Load is 12098 N
Load Variation is 13%
Vertical Movement is -15mm
Horizontal Movement is 19 mm

In the restraint input spreadsheet (at the spring hanger node),
Len is 2391mm
Stiff is 1051 N/cm
Fi is 10530 N.

Based on the above input the updated Spring Hanger Report is as follows, the changed values are shown in bold

Spring Rate is 1051 N/cm
Cold Load is 10882 N
Hot Load is 12098 N
Load Variation is 10%
Vertical Movement is -11.57 mm
Horizontal Movement is 20 mm

To make a conclusion, as explained in application guide “The user must, however, make sure that the spring stays within the design limits. (This is not difficult to do. The maximum computed load on the spring is compared to the manufacturer’s load limits)”.

So, referring to the above, as per Restrain summary, the following loads at spring (Flex +YROD Prog Design VSH) is,

Operating Case (Fy) = -23844 N
Sustained Case (Fy) = -20916 N, which is more than the Spring design load limits as mentioned below,

As per Spring Report (Piping Tech. Catalog),

Minimum allowed single spring load is 9341.267 N and
Maximum allowed single spring load is 16013.6 N.

So, from my point of view, the program selected spring may not be sufficient to withstand the force due to horizontal movement. Please clarify it.

Also please provide the solution for this, if my above conclusion is right. I request Mr. Richard Ay to also provide the solution for the same, it’s been past one month there is no reply from Richard Ay.