I have to make time to visit this forum more regularly.

Busy busy busy.

Anyhows, i'm on site looking at the pumps which out team have appraised for nozzle loadings.

I got to thinking, how does caesar attack the issue of nozzle loadings on equipment?

During construction, the fitters normally try to bolt up equipment with no tensions or weights acting on the nozzles, but this is not what caesar is giving in the restraints report.

My fitters asked how they should bolt the pumps up, i replied (as one does) that ensure no strain exists on the equipment before bolt up, ensuring no pull up is used during tightening.

But on the way home, i thought about this and i not 100% happy.

As i see it, to fully satisfy the caesar model, one has to adjust the support/pump locations until the "static" load on the equipment matches that on the restraint report, which would entail using loadcells during construction. not going to happen in west galway!!!!!

Otherwise:
The piping could be: "oversprung" if the equipment is bolted together with no static load on the nozzle
Or the piping could be "undersprung" if the full weight of the pipe is transfered to the nozzle.

I'm a big fan of adding reality into analysis and this has me wondering.
I suspect, that FOS kick in and the problem disappears,

(see attached Pic)

Attachments
139-HTFCHILLERPUMPTANKREV4.tif (693 downloads)