Topic Options
#67047 - 08/14/16 12:38 AM New to dynamic analysis for seismic
Lesstress Offline

Loc: US
Hi All,
I have been doing static pipe stress analysis with Caesar for quite sometimes, however never had the opportunity to deal with any dynamic analysis ie. modal, response spectrum, harmonic, time history, etc.
Recently I decided to challenge myself, push my boundaries and take over a project that require both static and dynamic analysis. ill be dealing with a 24" line starting in offshore and terminating somewhere onshore. I'm required to use ASME B31E to determine level 2 allowable stresses.
I have been searching the web to find some training videos that cover the seismic dynamic analysis with Caesar but was no success. The only video I found was the basic modal analysis for natural frequencies by Dave Diehl. I'm thinking to attend in the dynamic analysis course held in Houston in November 14th. In the meantime, I have started reviewing the Caesar manual and user guide, hoping that they can help me to carry out the project. I appreciate if any experienced fellows here can advise and suggest me good references, link to sites, articles, etc.
Thanks,

#67077 - 08/16/16 09:08 AM Re: New to dynamic analysis for seismic [Re: Lesstress]
Dave Diehl Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
We have at least four dynamics-related webinars that are available for online streaming. You'll have to dig through the list. Click on the Webinars button from the main page at www.coade.com.

#67323 - 09/21/16 01:22 AM Re: New to dynamic analysis for seismic [Re: Lesstress]
Lesstress Offline

Thanks Dave, very informative webinars. After watching those and also studying several of building codes and articles, I feel I'm getting somewhere.

Here's a question for professionals in the seismic field. I'm dealing with a16" pipe runing at about 140F and 100 psig that is carrying oil products. The Simple description of the piping system is as follow:
The pipe starts at structure A where it's anchored at point "A" ( anchore movement estimated as 12" and will be entered in dynamic to calculate pseudo static stresses) . The pipe continues in building A while sitting on several rest supports until it passes a structural seismic joint( separate buildings A from B) and enters building B. Somewhere along in building B its anchored at point B ( 12 in anchore movement estimated as well). The pipe continues on rest supports until it exits building B and will be anchored down at grade at point C( buried and 1" anchor movement). Anchor points A, B and C is the process requirements and can not be changed.
The dynamic model has been built to include 3 different independent support groups corresponding to 3 different shocks( ground motion response and modified shocks for building A and B are obtained from the civil engineer). The pipeline is rigidity routed and as expected the occasional stresses ( Sus + D) exceeds code allowable limits. In one of the modes, building A goes 12 in +x while building B goes 12 in -x caussing a 24" total relative displacement on the pipe axial direction.
Now for sure the expansion loops will be added however I'm wondering if the use of any metallic expansion joints are also recommended in the ba vicinity of the buildings seimic joints.
Thanks all for your inputs and sorry for the long post.

Edited by Lesstress (09/21/16 01:29 AM)

#67325 - 09/21/16 09:26 AM Re: New to dynamic analysis for seismic [Re: Lesstress]
Michael_Fletcher Offline

Loc: Louisiana, US
I would expect you'd need a hanging flexible catenary hose.

#67333 - 09/21/16 12:58 PM Re: New to dynamic analysis for seismic [Re: Michael_Fletcher]
Lesstress Offline

Interesting feedback. In fact, all the structures explained above are part of marine oil terminal and it's common to use catenary hoses mostly for loading offloading the vessels.
Thanks for the input.

Edited by Lesstress (09/21/16 12:59 PM)

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics