Topic Options
#37427 - 08/15/10 03:31 AM Analysis of Nozzle Pump Reciprocating Control Volume type
Tengku_Syahdilan Offline

Loc: Indonesia
Dear All,

At this time i'm doing an analysis of Recover Oil piping connect to a pump with type reciprocating control volume.
Is there any of you have an experienced with this kind of pump?
Client ask to analyze the nozzle load for this pump piping system, but i've got the vendor drawing and data 2 days ago, and there is no allowable load data that gives by the vendor. The problem for me is that the pump is a 6 inch bottom suction nozzle and 4 inch top discharge nozzle,as you see in this link :

http://www.nikkiso.com/products/pump/metering/img/c02-1.jpg

it is clear that i can't use CAESAR II API 610 analysis for this case, and if i search for API Code this pump can be category into Reciprocating pimp (API 674) or Control Volume type (API 675), and in both of this code, there is no Allowable load Table or rule of thumb like in API 610 and API 676.
I have in house spread sheet table of Excel for calculate pump nozzle load but i build this only for API 610 and ASME B73.1 M Pump.
Since the suction nozzle pump is Bottom suction, the equation to calculate the force and moment will be different from any equatiom listed in API 610 and ASME B73.1 M.
I hope some one in this forum has an experience with this kind of pump nozzle load analysis and can share the experience with me and everybody else in the forum that might be will face the same problem in the future.....

Thanks.

B'Rgrds

T.S

#37435 - 08/15/10 08:17 PM Re: Analysis of Nozzle Pump Reciprocating Control Volume type [Re: Tengku_Syahdilan]
Tengku_Syahdilan Offline

I found the code for this pump is API 675 and ANSI 7.1-7.5, but there is no allowable load list in there.
Is there any opinion, please...

#37471 - 08/16/10 10:05 AM Re: Analysis of Nozzle Pump Reciprocating Control Volume type [Re: Tengku_Syahdilan]
Tengku_Syahdilan Offline

Still no response from expert and experienced engineer ?
I will supply my calculation result to vendor and let them decide if the nozzle load acceptable or not, but i'm still curious about how to calculate the Allowable load for API 675 Nozzle load, if API 610 have the rule thumb as listed in Sam Kannappan books, Victor Helguero books, also in WRC 449, API 676 Rotary Pump also have the rule of thumb for determining allowable load,so does other Rotating equipment, i think API 675 pump should have one too...
The problem is "The Bottom Suction Nozzle"......
It is a 6 Inch Bottom suction Nozzle and 4 Inch Top discharge Nozzle, and with stres point of view if you see the pump in attachment below, the bottom suction nozzle will experience significant load from dead weight load, and there will be also a pulsation in this system as described by our Process department.
So it will be very helpfull if some one here can share point of view or share experience regarding this subject....
Thanks.

Attachments
23500-28.pdf (922 downloads)

#38057 - 09/23/10 08:55 PM Re: Analysis of Nozzle Pump Reciprocating Control Volume type [Re: Tengku_Syahdilan]
waskito_ardi Offline

Loc: Jakarta, Indonesia
Originally Posted By: Tengku_Syahdilan
Still no response from expert and experienced engineer ?
I will supply my calculation result to vendor and let them decide if the nozzle load acceptable or not, but i'm still curious about how to calculate the Allowable load for API 675 Nozzle load, if API 610 have the rule thumb as listed in Sam Kannappan books, Victor Helguero books, also in WRC 449, API 676 Rotary Pump also have the rule of thumb for determining allowable load,so does other Rotating equipment, i think API 675 pump should have one too...
The problem is "The Bottom Suction Nozzle"......
It is a 6 Inch Bottom suction Nozzle and 4 Inch Top discharge Nozzle, and with stres point of view if you see the pump in attachment below, the bottom suction nozzle will experience significant load from dead weight load, and there will be also a pulsation in this system as described by our Process department.
So it will be very helpfull if some one here can share point of view or share experience regarding this subject....
Thanks.

Mr Syahdilan, from my project experience, all reciprocating pump will given pulsation study from pump vendor. We just send them the piping routing for they study.

My Senior Engineer insist me that we didn't have to running analysis for piping connected to the reciprocating pump (Positive Displacement Pump).
But I feel dangling about my Senior opinion. I must say that I agree with your action that we must delivered Force and Moments acting on nozzle to Pump Vendor and let them decide what to do...

*I'm sorry for late reply, I'm just newbie who willing to learn more.. Thank you...

#38067 - 09/24/10 03:33 PM Re: Analysis of Nozzle Pump Reciprocating Control Volume type [Re: waskito_ardi]
STC Offline

Loc: Taegu
The standards for Reciprocating pump(API674&675) or compressors(API618) do not include allowable loads. Therefore,we need to talk to vendor about Manufacturer's allowable.

#58287 - 03/25/14 05:41 AM Re: Analysis of Nozzle Pump Reciprocating Control Volume type [Re: Tengku_Syahdilan]
NickSyms Offline

Loc: Dubai
Hi all,

Ive discovered this thread whilst searching for a solution myself and though i would share what i have so far.

I have acquired the 2010 3rd edition of API standard 674. Among the changes form the 1995 second edition includes a table for minimum allowable loads (see image).

I suppose this has both advantages and disadvantages for us. The advantage is we are no longer designing blind. The disadvantage (which i am having at the moment) is that the pump vendor need only to satisfy this criteria. My problem is that the vendor are reluctant to provide us with their actual calculated allowable and just referenced this document.

#58327 - 03/27/14 04:32 AM Re: Analysis of Nozzle Pump Reciprocating Control Volume type [Re: Tengku_Syahdilan]
Ibrahim Demir Offline

Loc: Australia
I suggest you to look at the following link first for the pulsation study:

http://www.betamachinery.com/uploadedfiles/001_-_design_services/pump-pulsation-study-application-guide%281%29.pdf

Nicksyms,

In case the contract spells the code and correct version of the standard you do not need to have any concern on the loads if this is the case. The vendors have to comply with the allowable loads that were given by the standard. Most of the vendors should make an FEA calculation (or a satisfactory calculation in other ways) for each model type and show that they satisfied the code rules to be able to sustain their accreditation.

Therefore they do not produce nozzle allowable loads for every pumps unless you insist and pay the cost for some type of calculation. None of the vendor consider another allowable load calculation in their offer unless it is required by the tender document and coasted.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics