Topic Options
#58273 - 03/24/14 08:55 AM FRP Material Input
Dmitriy Offline

Loc: Illinois (IL)
Hello,

I'm going to starting analysis on FRP piping soon and received the material properties for the vendor. I have read that the FRP material is #20, but I was hoping to create a new material altogether as I have before for a steel alloy.

The pipe properties table provided by the vendor has no temperature information, but is instead organized by pipe size (1"-54"). There are also varying material densities for the pipe sizes. Lastly, there are two sets of allowable stresses, for 0 psi & 150 psi.

The material database editor is organized by temperature, with only a single column for allowable stress and one entry for pipe density. (Though I could create two materials for each pressure scenario.)

How can I properly incorporate the material data I have within the Caesar parameters?

Thanks,
Dmitriy

#58302 - 03/25/14 05:06 PM Re: FRP Material Input [Re: Dmitriy]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Check the User Documentation on FRP. You can create your own FRP material files, they reside in your CAESAR II \System folder.

#58326 - 03/27/14 04:05 AM Re: FRP Material Input [Re: Dmitriy]
Ibrahim Demir Offline

Loc: Australia
FRP pipe materials vendor do not have any information unless they are the manufacturers. I came across that even the person who you are dealing within the manufacturer side is very important to be able to get the right information.

I have experienced that the manufacturing and design code is very important for the purchasing FRP pipes. Some of major manufacturers do not have the required testing and the reliable information on material in terms of the design code, and they use the manufacturing code information only. So this is the one (based on the test pressure)that you normally can obtain. This puts the stress engineer under pressure and it is also difficult to explain this others after having the shelf material. They may even accuse you that you do not have proper knowledge in the analysis.

So I suggest you to read the design and manufacturing code together and insist to obtain the right information related to the FRP material you need to use.

I wish you good luck, and please share with us your findings.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics