Topic Options
#46990 - 01/25/12 05:09 PM When the density of the fluid changes over the thermal cases
Chakot Offline

Loc: Italy
Good morning.
I have a system that is difficult to split in more Caesar's models.
Let's say the system is composed by three subsystems: A, B and C.
In operating condition 1: A is full of condensate, B and C are full of vapor.
In operating condition 2: A and B are full of condensate, and C is full of vapor.
Hydraulic test is performed on A and B only.
To perform this analysis I should create 3 files, one for operating condition 1, one for Op. condition 2 and one for hydraulic test where I manually put water on subsystems A and B, lock springs and delete insulation.
Every time I change something, like the position of a support, in one model, I have to remember to change in the others.
Do you know if there is a system to speed up this works.
For the Caesar's team: maybe could be good for the next versions to have at least the possibility to flag if an element is subject to hydrotest or not.
Thank you

#47011 - 01/27/12 12:05 AM Re: When the density of the fluid changes over the thermal cases [Re: Chakot]
SJ Offline

Loc: India
Chakot..

I can't precisely say whether this method is 100% accurate but I tried to figure out a way to do so.

Let your three lines be A, B & C with node nos range as 10-100(for A); 100-200 (for B ) & 200-300 (for C). I've presumed that the pipe is uninsulated.

Now the only way I see I can do the above requirements in one file is: by varying the insulation thickness & density.

Calculate a hypothetical cylinder of dia same as ins thickness which will have the same volume as the original pipe of inside dia di.

By calculation & solving the quadratic equation, we get 2di=do where do is outer dia.
Therefore equivalent ins thichness will be t=0.5 di (since t= 0.5 {do-di) )

For operating condtion 1 :

Put fluid densities as 0 for all A,B & C.

Put ins thk as 0.5di for A with condensate density as ins density & for B & C use 0 ins thk & density.

For operating condtion 2 :

Put fluid densities as 0 for all A,B & C.

Put ins thk as 0.5di for A & B with condensate density as ins density for Both A & B
& for C use 0 ins thk & density.

For hydro, you may create a new file.

I know this method may not be fully correct as you've mentioned deletion of insulation (and I've presumed uninsulated pipe) in your post but still thought of giving my brain some feed to solve this Piping puzzle..!!!

You know "An empty mind is a devil's workshop" & being a god-fearing man, I dislike the devil & his workshop crazy smirk....

SJ

#47042 - 01/30/12 07:35 AM Re: When the density of the fluid changes over the thermal cases [Re: Chakot]
Deedee Offline

SJ,

Please Check, if you really can change insulation density for different load cases in a single caesar file? I think not.

#47055 - 01/30/12 10:19 PM Re: When the density of the fluid changes over the thermal cases [Re: Chakot]
SJ Offline

You can very well change the density as well as the thickness of ins in the same Caesar file. You can manually enter any value in density or may select the ins type from the drop-down menu!!I can't show it here but hope it works out fine at your end too...

SJ

#47059 - 01/31/12 01:18 AM Re: When the density of the fluid changes over the thermal cases [Re: Chakot]
Deedee Offline

SJ,

To be Specific, are you telling that 'for a given Piping element' ( say Node 100 to 200 )you can put different densities 'corresponding' to diferent operating temperatures( for the same piping element) in a single caesar file?
As per your Reply to Chakot, you are trying this as a solution. But this feature is not there in Caesar.
For any piping element, The parameters such as insulation density, insulation thickness and fluid density are fixed in a caesar file, irrespective of the temperature case. Athough they may vary for different elements. Hope this makes it clear.

#47060 - 01/31/12 04:07 AM Re: When the density of the fluid changes over the thermal cases [Re: Deedee]
SJ Offline

Dee...

I got it!! Thanks for pointing out my error...Unintenionally, in the solution I tried to change densities ..Some how missed this point...

SJ

#47064 - 01/31/12 07:49 AM Re: When the density of the fluid changes over the thermal cases [Re: Chakot]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
You cannot change densities (directly) for different load cases.

However, if the only issue is insulation (hydrotest vs non-hydrotest), there is a Configuration Directive (on the Computational Control pane) to control this. The directive defaults to "false", so the hydrotest case does not include insulation, whereas other load cases will.

To control the fluid content, you can always use "WNC" (weight no contents) in your load case instead of "W".

#47399 - 02/25/12 06:32 AM Re: When the density of the fluid changes over the thermal cases [Re: Chakot]
danb Offline

Loc: ...

#47632 - 03/08/12 09:58 AM Re: When the density of the fluid changes over the thermal cases [Re: Chakot]
M Waheed Offline

Loc: UK
For different densities you can apply the uniform loads corresponding to densities. For Example U1 for first density, U2 for second and U3 for third. You can model maximum three densities using this method. You need to convert density (kg/m^3) in to uniform load which is N/m

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics