Topic Options
#22140 - 11/05/08 08:24 AM New version
SUPERPIPER Offline

Loc: Europe
Hurry up and release the new version wil yer,

So i can dump the bug ridden, fault overloaded, inconsistent , slow, uber-crashy, sack of **** of a version which has the disgrace to sit in my hard drive.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad

#22141 - 11/05/08 08:26 AM Re: New version [Re: SUPERPIPER]
SUPERPIPER Offline

*Screams like a schoolgirl*

CII has managed to give me a migrane and its only been on for 1 hour

#22144 - 11/05/08 09:37 AM Re: New version [Re: SUPERPIPER]
Dave Diehl Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
OK, Tim, put down the gun... (Oh, that's right, you're not in the USA.)

No one needs to get hurt.

Would you care to describe the fault?

#22154 - 11/05/08 12:07 PM Re: New version [Re: Dave Diehl]
SUPERPIPER Offline

Originally Posted By: Dave Diehl
OK, Tim, put down the gun... (Oh, that's right, you're not in the USA.)

No one needs to get hurt.

Would you care to describe the fault?

laugh

I dunno dave, damn thing gets tetchy at times. i've calmed down, and yes, you have a very good product. my apoligies.....

However Bugs=

*Deleting support such as xyz often results in the operator (XYZ) re-appearing.
*Using the Database too fast can cause it to crash
*Zooming in on large models (Dimensionaly) causes hoops to fall over, resulting in a replot required
*Adjusting database values can cause the screen to refresh regardless of the enviromental settings
*Selecting - Picking items on the screen is not reflected in the database
screen
*Its becoming slow
*no matter what i do to fonts etc. i cannot get a ledgible reading on the 3D static output display.
*Delta screens can be sticky, that is, try putting a flange after an eccentric reducer, the reducer defaults to the previous scewed angle and its a bugger to get the delta screen to understand that the flange is straight, no matter how many times i input x=0y=0z=1
*CAESAR II files annoyingly dissapear (ie they don't zip up)
*The open comand does not revert to the host directory. yes i know you set the default directory, but its a pain to have to go marching through the network because you want to open a previous revision of the same calc.
*Dynamic animation screen does not open in full view. ive lost count of the times i sit there wondering if ive broke it again waiting for the dynamic animation, only to notice it flashing in a minmised condition on the task bar.
*Printing Code compliance sheet, i can no longer (on this version) select print page 1 only. even if i specifically tell it pages 1-2, i get the full report, which is a waste of paper
*line stops are still hidden in the hoops output
*Material allowance should be given as an option on the hoops output
*Input should be available from the output. (ie open the input with the output open, which you can't do) the otherway round works though.
*Add perspective view to the 3D static output
*Allow search for +tive and -tive values in the output
*allow to revert to input screen if run is bouncing

to name a few...............

#22172 - 11/05/08 11:45 PM Re: New version [Re: SUPERPIPER]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Here are the responses to your issues. You shouldn't have waited until you had such a list. When you find yourself fighting the software, send us an e-mail.<br><br>

*Deleting support such as xyz often results in the operator (XYZ) re-appearing.
So you delete a "muliple restraint definition" by double clicking the
"Restraint CheckBox" on the spreadsheet? The restraint symbols on the graphics should be
removed. I just tried this and it worked fine.

*Using the Database too fast can cause it to crash
By "database" I presume you mean the LIST? What exact operation leads
to the crash? This issue could be related to your video card, the drivers for that video card,
or to an issue we found early on with Version 5.10. This
earlier post describes the issue and suggest several remedies. Note, this post is from March, so
the official fix for this "mouse problem" appeared in the next build.<br><br>

You didn't say what build you were running? If you don't have 080512 please download and install this.
If you're not receiving notices when new builds are released, please register your software, since this
is the only way we have of notifying users with important information.

*Zooming in on large models (Dimensionaly) causes hoops to fall over, resulting in a replot required
This sounds a lot like a problem with the video card. Read the graphics suggestions
mentioned in the link above.

*Adjusting database values can cause the screen to refresh regardless of the enviromental settings
That depends on what you changed. If you change the length of a piece of pipe by 1mm, we
all know that the model doesn't need to be rescaled or redrawn - but CAESAR II doesn't know this. Conversely
if you changed the length by 10M you would want the model rescaled and redrawn.

*Selecting - Picking items on the screen is not reflected in the database screen
Changing the "current element" in the graphics or on the Spreadsheet will not change the
focus in the "Element LIST". We did have this working but it was disabled due to severe performance (speed) issues.

*Its becoming slow
Relative to what - how big is the model you see this with?

*no matter what i do to fonts etc. i cannot get a ledgible reading on the 3D static output display.
I just tested this with the 080512 build, and the font, color, and point size were all
updated as expected. This leads me back to the suggestion to follow the tips in the link above.

*Delta screens can be sticky, that is, try putting a flange after an eccentric reducer, the reducer defaults to
the previous scewed angle and its a bugger to get the delta screen to understand that the flange is straight, no
matter how many times i input x=0y=0z=1

I'm not seeing this. If you drop in the flange using the "valve/flange" database, then
yes the default delta dimensions will continue with the cosines of the previous element. However, you can
use the "Cosine Dialog" to change the direction (and thus the deltas) with no problems.

That only happens if you manage to crash or otherwise abort one of the modules.

*The open comand does not revert to the host directory. yes i know you set the default directory, but its a pain
to have to go marching through the network because you want to open a previous revision of the same calc.

We have automated this "roll-back" idea for Version 5.20. It should be much easier.

*Dynamic animation screen does not open in full view. ive lost count of the times i sit there wondering if ive
broke it again waiting for the dynamic animation, only to notice it flashing in a minmised condition on the task bar.

This was fixed for Version 5.20 two days ago.

*Printing Code compliance sheet, i can no longer (on this version) select print page 1 only. even if i specifically
tell it pages 1-2, i get the full report, which is a waste of paper

We just tested this with 080512 and it worked fine. We printed directly from the report (we
did not put the report over in the "book" and then print). When the print dialog appeared, we selected page range and
then set the range "from 1 to 1".

*line stops are still hidden in the hoops output
There are two things you can do here to see these restriants: (a) use the "translucent"
option, or (b) use the double-line view.

*Material allowance should be given as an option on the hoops output
So you want the ability to see "Mill Tolerance" across the model in a colored legend the way
diameters and corrosion can be shown?

*Input should be available from the output. (ie open the input with the output open, which you can't do) the otherway
round works though.

That would present a QA issue, since you could modify the input and it would no longer
correspond to the output.

*Add perspective view to the 3D static output
It's there now, there just isn't a toolbar button for it. Right-click anywhere in the
graphics area and you'll get a "context menu". Select "Projections", then "Perspective".

*Allow search for +tive and -tive values in the output
You'll be able to accomplish this in Version 5.20, using "signed filters" and the search.

*allow to revert to input screen if run is bouncing
CAESAR II doesn't know the solution isn't converging. Some models converge in 2 iterations,
some in 20, and some in more.

#22202 - 11/06/08 06:16 PM Re: New version [Re: Richard Ay]
ichigo Offline

Loc: USA-Philippines
Rich,

I have not read the whole scream from superpiper, but, for the first item, I have experience the same issue. It's not about double clicking the restraint support in order to delete the whole xyz, but, it happens when you wanted to remove one restraint only in a common node, i.e. z. Sometimes, the z will remain in the spreadsheet already without the node making errors during analysis run.

I'll try to read more abut his screams if I can find more of the same experience... I am calm... smile

#22203 - 11/06/08 06:32 PM Re: New version [Re: ichigo]
ichigo Offline

Loc: USA-Philippines
I don't see anymore of the same that was experienced by superpiper.

But, I do have some concerns. For view (range) options, if we have a very large model and we wanted to see nodes 10 to 1000 only, and edit some pipe routes or support types which is within this range... when it regenerates all nodes will show up again, I don't like it because it takes too long and I have to find the node, zoom in, then thats the time I can do the changes again (every single edit).

Maybe this option has already been updated in the new version 5.10, but if not this option would be very helpful.

#22204 - 11/06/08 08:49 PM Re: New version [Re: ichigo]
Paul Bond Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Is there formal or proper way to submit suggestions for upcoming versions?

#22205 - 11/06/08 09:16 PM Re: New version [Re: ichigo]
Richard Ay Offline

"ichigo",

Quote:
but, it happens when you wanted to remove one restraint only in a common node, i.e. z. Sometimes, the z will remain in the spreadsheet already without the node making errors during analysis run.

When you change a field (edit box) you should change the focus before moving on to the next element. You do this by using [tab] or clicking in some other field. If you don't change the focus, the change you made may not register.

Quote:
when it regenerates all nodes will show up again

This happens because the entire (graphics) database is regenerated due to the change. We'll have to take a look at this issue.

#22206 - 11/06/08 09:18 PM Re: New version [Re: Paul Bond]
Richard Ay Offline

E-mail is good - send it to techsupport@coade.com.

Note, Version 5.20 is currently in Beta Testing, any new ideas will have to wait until Version 5.30.

#22208 - 11/06/08 11:34 PM Re: New version [Re: Richard Ay]
corne Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
That only happens if you manage to crash or otherwise abort one of the modules.

I've had this problem when my windows explorer was opened in the working directory where the ceasar files are stored. I even had problems with windows explorer opened to loose my complete input. Saving the file worked (didn't check the zip thing in explorer though) and when re-opening CII said that the file was from version 0.0 (or something strange like that). In other words I lost my complete input.

#22215 - 11/07/08 07:10 AM Re: New version [Re: corne]
Richard Ay Offline

"Version 0.0" means the input is corrupt and CAESAR II can't even read the first value (the version number) stored in the file. I routinely have Windows Explorer open in the CAESAR II data directory - that's not the problem. What else happened?

#22219 - 11/07/08 11:39 AM Re: New version [Re: Richard Ay]
Bob Zimmerman Offline

Loc: Houston,TX,USA
As stated before, if the whole file really disappears from your working directory or is corrupted, look on your local hard drive in the "temp" directory (or search hard drive) and many times a "version" of the file is there.

#22220 - 11/07/08 11:50 AM Re: New version [Re: corne]
Dave Diehl Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
Corne,

You might be able to recover that "lost" model.

Where "user" is your User Name, open Explorer to go to C:\Documents and Settings\"user"\Local Settings\Application Data\CAESAR II v.5.10

A quick was to get close to here is to type %temp% as the Explorer address. This will get you as far as the "Local Settings" folder. You can continue down the folder tree to your CAESAR folder - both v.5.00 and v.5.10 should be listed.

Once there, you will see a folder for each CAESAR II job you have built. In those folders you will have each input session for that job. Use the time and date to grab the right one. Just double click on the one you want and it will open in CAESAR II. Once in the input, resave it under the proper name.

#22222 - 11/07/08 12:14 PM Re: New version [Re: Dave Diehl]
corne Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
@Richard, Dave,

thanks for your replies. I luckily haven't had this for a while. As to what else happened. Nothing happened really. I built the model, run it, saved it and closed CII completely. When re-opening CII and the file it give the version 0.0 message. So what I did was deleting all files, re-creating the job and re-building it, ran it, saved it and closed CII. Again when re-opening the same error. I then saw my explorer was in the project-folder where the .C 2 files are saved. I closed explorer, re-opened CII, re-created the job and the model, run it, saved it, and no problems afterwards. Luckily it was a small model only taking about 60 to 90 minutes to build completely.

As for the recover model: I'll try that if I ever "loose" a model. Thanks for the tip.

#22230 - 11/07/08 03:24 PM Re: New version [Re: Richard Ay]
SUPERPIPER Offline

well, i'm calmer.

thanks for the replies.

sometimes under pressure, you get into the zone and its fustating when your tools don't work as fast as your brain.

Looking forward to V5.2 keep up the good work.

( and if anyone thinks i'm dissing CII, think again. its a testement to how good it is that my fustrations are about speed, not capability)

Sorry for the rant,

7 projects,4 clients,2 weeks, and TWO stress engineers.
= Rant!!!!!!

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics