Topic Options
#21265 - 10/05/08 10:45 PM Analysis with GRP Material
adi singh Offline

Loc: india
Dear Frds

I am doing a Caesar analysis, in which the pipe material is GRP-FKT, the pipe size is 48". Analysis Code is DIN 13480.

I am new to this type of analysis,
as how to feed the material input in caesar and Stress allowables values.

Please help me.

With Regards
Aditya Singh

#21267 - 10/06/08 01:01 AM Re: Analysis with GRP Material [Re: adi singh]
anindya stress Offline

Loc: London, UK
I have never used DIN 13480, hence would not comment anything on this code. However for general GRP analysis, the following rules apply:

Discuss the analysis with your vendor in terms of support span, coefficient of expansion and elastic modulus and poisson ratio perperties. GRP being orthotropic, these values will be different for different directions.Also discuss with the vendor about use of mechanical or adhesive joints in your system. There are advantages of both and some mechanical joints are not designed for taking thrust loads.

Also discuss the SIF an d Flexibility factors for bends and fittings. Remember that SIF can be less than 1 for GRP bends and flexibility can be lower than straight pipes.

To the extent I know, CAESAR II supports UKOOA and BS7159 for GRP analysis and I presume that your code should not be too different from this.The ISO14692 is an extension of UKOOA code and it is possible to implement ISO14692 rules within the UKOOA module of CAESAR II.

Read the requirements of your code and see in what best way it is possible to implement ( if at all possible) in CASESAR II.One you have read the code and discussed the issue with your vendor, things can be taken forward from thre regarding CAESAR II implementation.

Hope this helps.

Regards

#21271 - 10/06/08 01:54 AM Re: Analysis with GRP Material [Re: anindya stress]
adi singh Offline

Loc: india
Thanks Anindya....

as i know very little about GRP.... it have the different material properties in different direction....
I think, in CZR material list only material no. 20 ( FRP ) has that facility to take different directional proerties....
U Plz correct me if i am wrong...

Will u plz explain more about inputing of this type of material, bends, tees etc..

Thanks

#21279 - 10/06/08 07:04 AM Re: Analysis with GRP Material [Re: adi singh]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Using the [Search] feature (to the right, above the Calendar), you'll find this post: http://www.coade.com/ubbthreads/ubbthrea...=true#Post14588

This is a very complex subject, I'm not sure you can pick up all the details in a Forum or e-mail. Isn't there anyone there that can guide you and check what you're doing?

#21280 - 10/06/08 07:09 AM Re: Analysis with GRP Material [Re: adi singh]
corne Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
You could best use BS7159 for the analysis. DIN13480 (or EN13480 as you like) is for steel piping only. UKOOA uses special failure characteristics which you have to know exactly for a code stress check.
As said above GRP is orthotropic and thus tricky to use in a stress analysis. If you have no experience with it, please find someone within your company who has.

- 1. First of all you have to consider which material properties you have to use: circumferential or longitudinal. If you know what stress analysis is about, you should be able to answer this question.
Use the correct settings in all GRP input screens.
- 2. you have to know which couplings or coupling mechanism is used in the system.
- 3. most times bends and tees have larger wall thicknesses in comparison with normal pipe. You'll have to familiarize yourself with how to input these. Especially concerning SIF calculating.
- 4. For large diameter pipe, you'll have to use a more sophisticated way to enter tees. Use the search function in this forum to find out more about tees and large diameter pipe.
- 5. GRP pipe often has a thin wall. Be careful with external pressure and local pipe instability.
- 6. GRP is much more flexible than steel pipe. This can be used in various ways.
- 7. and much much more, but I'll stop here for now.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics