Topic Options
#19551 - 07/27/08 10:29 PM Harmonic Study
Vish Offline

Loc: Australia
Can someone explain whether a harmonic analysis takes into account any of the pressure and temperatures cases defined in the static input sheet (including any forces defined in the input sheet).

I ran a dynamic case with a horizontal harmonic displacement. The restraint vertical forces are all positive. Usually in a static analysis weights of of the piping carried by the restraints shows negative vertical forces showing the force exerted by the piping onto the restraint. If I take this convention for the harmonic analysis, I can not see any restraint carrying weight of the piping as all of them are positive in vertical direction. Can someone explain this too please.

#19655 - 07/31/08 10:02 AM Re: Harmonic Study [Re: Vish]
Dave Diehl Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
If you have damping in your harmonic analysis, your harmonic results will vary with the phase angle you choose to report. If you select a report that is 180 degrees "away" from the report you mention, all those positive support loads will be negative. You may have to use different phase angles to collect the largest harmonic amplitude.

No, the harmonic results do not include any static load components defined in your basic CAESAR II input. You can have the dynamics processor sum static results with the harmonic reports but, since maximum damped response varies from point to point based on phase angle, it would be difficult to build and review all those load cases. I would suggest some human intervention to combine static and harmonic results.

There's also the +/- thing. Be sure to both add the harmonic amplitude to the static response and subtract the harmonic amplitude from the static response.

Undamped systems will show maximum amplitude.

#19693 - 08/03/08 05:03 PM Re: Harmonic Study [Re: Dave Diehl]
Vish Offline

Loc: Australia
Thanks Dave,
I realised that static loads are not take into account in the harmonic analysis as changes in static loads do not change harmonic results (hoop stresses are zero etc).

I use harmonic analysis only to ensure that harmonic stresses are below material endurance stress limit.

regards

Vish

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics