Topic Options
#15361 - 01/18/08 06:08 AM Friction Effect
pipedrifter Offline

Loc: Singapore
It has been a practiced in the company I used to work with to use lesser coefficient of friction on selected restraints ranging from 0.002-0.1 than the usual 0.3 to reduce loadings exerted by piping in pump nozzle. This is normally done in first and second support from pump nozzle then teflon plate is being recommended to support designer to be used for that particular support. Friction effect has been repeatedly discussed in this forum that it should always be used to worsen the effect to the system and not to help attain favorable result. In this case, stress is not a concern but only allowable nozzle loading.

Is this approach a realistic way of reducing loadings? Does using materials with proven lesser friction resistance affect the piping system this significant in actual condition? I know many in this forum have excellent experience in dealing with piping system connected to rotating equipment. Kindly advice...

#15363 - 01/18/08 07:08 AM Re: Friction Effect [Re: pipedrifter]
mariog Offline

Loc: Romania
You think it’s not good to use Teflon plates because "Friction effect has been repeatedly discussed in this forum that it should always be used to worsen the effect to the system and not to help attain favorable result" ??? At least it's what I'm understanding...

The goal to use low-friction supports is to help the system to work as you want. In this case you really expect the low friction shall help. Not 50-50 chance to help.

When you make a stress analysis with a degree of incertitude on friction effects, better to consider as worsen the system than helping.
It’s a conservative way for your judgment when you are not sure about the effects.

#15364 - 01/18/08 07:49 AM Re: Friction Effect [Re: pipedrifter]
bom Offline

Loc: Manila, Philippines
Hi piperdrifter,

I will be very carefull of using the friction releaving device... The issue of friction is always discuss here and many of it adresses this problem. If there will be a flexibility available in my system it will be my first option rather than relying to friction which change with time.

You had mention that "In this case, stress is not a concern but only allowable nozzle loading".... For friction? Think of back-up pump that runs once in a blue moon and what happen to your friction? It grows with time. So the topic that repeatedly discuss also hold for this issue.

Regards!

#15372 - 01/18/08 06:46 PM Re: Friction Effect [Re: bom]
pipedrifter Offline

Loc: Singapore
Thanks mariog and bom. I am as well doubtful of it its effectivity since its was first introduced to me. Its nice to know that you as well have the same idea. I will more confident in defending my decision with regards to this matter.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics