Topic Options
#14145 - 11/05/07 07:53 AM High restraint loads on 80" Flue gas line with EJ at 310 C.
SkyofStars Offline

Loc: KSA
I have to analyze an 80" API 5L Grade B line (11 mm WT, 1 mm CA) carrying flue gasses at 310 degrees Celcius. Since d/t > 100, so I shall be getting SIF value through FEA and later putting that in our model. But presently, I have to carry forward the initial analysis for preliminary loading data to be forwarded to civil.

With d/t > 100 and one of the pressures being negative (luckily the line donot require any stiffener rings), i am asked to proceed with analysis on Ceasor II. For the time being, using Ceasor determined SIFs for miter elements,I have modeled the line with two untied Expansion joints (one is 10 convolutions and the other one is 36 convolutions from Senior Flexonics).

The line lies at approx. 11 meters elevation on a pipe rack and faces wind load as well. Using steel to PTFE friction coefficeint, my analysis reveals reaction tentamounting to 25 tons on various restraints. Civil deptt. has responded that restraint reactions are too high which would result in too heavy the rack structure. I am asked to revisit the solution for reducing restraint loads.

I have attached the Ceasor II files and assumptions used in analysis with this posting.

Would like seniors at this forum to just see the analysis model and comment / suggest for reduction in restraint loads. Are these reaction loads really too high for 80" line at 310 degrees celcius line temperature?

Attachments
165-C2files.zip (449 downloads)
166-ASSUMPTIONSFOR80-FLGline.pdf (534 downloads)

Sky of Stars
Piping Stress Engineer

#14149 - 11/05/07 10:16 AM Re: High restraint loads on 80" Flue gas line with EJ at 310 C. [Re: SkyofStars]
Jouko Offline

I think you better look into your compensators. 36 convolutions? I would say no go. Axial movements are very high. Abnormal design. Have they actually promised to design/supply? I would look 3 pin system, fabric compensators... Thick pipe for a flue gas.

Jouko
jouko@jat.co.za

#14150 - 11/05/07 10:23 AM Re: High restraint loads on 80" Flue gas line with EJ at 310 C. [Re: Jouko]
MoverZ Offline

Loc: Hants, UK
An 80" unrestrained bellows 11m of the ground sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Go for Jouko's solution.

#14188 - 11/06/07 10:12 PM Re: High restraint loads on 80" Flue gas line with EJ at 310 C. [Re: MoverZ]
SkyofStars Offline

Thanks Jouko for your advise. I am working on the tip proposed by you.

Sky of Stars
Piping Stress Engineer

#14191 - 11/07/07 07:54 AM Re: High restraint loads on 80" Flue gas line with EJ at 310 C. [Re: SkyofStars]
John C. Luf Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Frankly your questions are consulting in nature. Your asking for people to review your work and assist you in the design. This is questionable ethically similar to a student asking somebody for their homework paper so that they could copy it and turn it in as their own work. Perhaps I have the wrong opinion but its one mans opinion.

John C. Luf

#14209 - 11/08/07 05:42 AM Re: High restraint loads on 80" Flue gas line with EJ at 310 C. [Re: John C. Luf]
SkyofStars Offline

John, with this query my main concern was just to have a seasoned opinion that restraint loads upto 25 Tons are not that huge for 80" line at 310 degree Celcius, Elv. 11 meters. I didnot aimed anything more than this. I am thankful to Jouko who pointed availability issue of 36 conv. EJ; but this is something what i am already in correspondance with the manufacturer.

We must note that forums like this are made for discussion, I invited discussion on my concern. I never demadned anyone to work on my problem. Sharing knowledge and experience just like Jouko did, always add to one's worth and relieves one of a social & ethical responsibility that lies on the shoulders of seasoned professionals.

One should never suspect other's intentions. Let me share one thing that I have learned is "staying positive always attracts positive results, positive enviornment.........and this is one good way to get what one wants"

Sky of Stars
Piping Stress Engineer

#14212 - 11/08/07 05:52 AM Re: High restraint loads on 80" Flue gas line with EJ at 310 C. [Re: SkyofStars]
John C. Luf Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Your intent statement above is well taken, I misunderstood your intent. My nature is to be a skeptic I try to neither see positive nor negative. Balance and harmony in our views as in life is important. (Taoistic Ying and Yang)

I have seen in this as well as in other forums an up swell of posts by people who are trying to do work that they have little or no knowledge of, and rather than trying to get competent experienced help they turn to internet forums for help with their work.

This approach is at best spotty and at worst may lead to a design failure, with subsequent other negative consequences.

So I view questions about the code or CAESAR II or modeling techniques differently than posts that strike me as "gee I don't know what I'm doing can you do this for me?"

John C. Luf

#14234 - 11/09/07 04:10 AM Re: High restraint loads on 80" Flue gas line with EJ at 310 C. [Re: SkyofStars]
SkyofStars Offline

Guys, i am sharing one solution that i proposed to my seniors who are reviewing my work. I used four hinged EJs, each having 4 convolutions. I have attached the hand sketch indicating location and restraint loads............just for the sake of info sharing.....maybe someone is able to learn from this or your comments on it may provide me a guiding light.

Attachments
168-80-flglinewith4ejseach4conv.pdf (589 downloads)

Sky of Stars
Piping Stress Engineer

#14308 - 11/14/07 04:27 AM Re: High restraint loads on 80" Flue gas line with EJ at 310 C. [Re: SkyofStars]
SkyofStars Offline

Well........my previous work has been reviewed and comments incorporated in new solution which has finally been accepted. Thanks Jouko for your passing comments, they were helpful. Lesson learned:

Using 4 hinged EJ system is an abnormal design which is more prone to unstability/unpredictability as compared to 3 hinged compensator system. The 3 hinged EJ system between reheat boiler unit and an anchor worked well in my case when used in conjunction with an untied EJ on a well restrained line between the same anchor and stack nozzle.

Sky of Stars
Piping Stress Engineer

#14340 - 11/15/07 10:13 AM Re: High restraint loads on 80" Flue gas line with EJ at 310 C. [Re: SkyofStars]
SUPERPIPER Offline

Loc: Europe
erm.

This is large flue gas line that according to the CAESAR II file:

*has no pressure????
*is filled with gas at 7833kg/m3???

whats wrong with fixing it in the middle and using a simple COMPENSATOR at both connections?

why are you using 1/2" thick pipe?
why support every 6m??????

should Ceasar be used for this???? (Bends???)

Can those mitre bends take large deflections?

is the earth flat????

Looks wrong.

#14355 - 11/16/07 05:04 AM Re: High restraint loads on 80" Flue gas line with EJ at 310 C. [Re: SUPERPIPER]
SkyofStars Offline

Superpiper, the CAESAR II file you talked of, in no way corresponds to my final model now. However my reply to your comments follow:

-------
*has no pressure????................ i set +ve, zero and negative pressures to see the difference CAESAR II behaves, nothing more in it!

-------
*is filled with gas at 7833kg/m3???........... What is wrong in Pipe density picked from Ceasor database?

-------
whats wrong with fixing it in the middle and using a simple COMPENSATOR at both connections?..............This is the simplest approach that comes to mind first; and this is exactly how i designed it in the shared CAESAR II file. It resulted in a simple COMPENSATOR on one side of anchor that required 36 convolutions which Pathway professionals say "No one shall manufacture it". In place of 36 convolutions simple EJ, i have used 3 hinged EJs on a changed but more simple route.

-------
why are you using 1/2" thick pipe?........... This much wall thickness donot require pipe stiffeners. Thicknesses more than 11 mm would be addition of huge costs for such large dia long pipes.

-------
why support every 6m??????..............Yes, this is something i had to see a lot many times while deciding about it. Since it was thin pipe (high d/t ratio), so very suspectable to buckling! A well restrained system having guides at appropriate spans should never buckle down. Moreover, the line needed to be stiffened laterally so as to face huge wind loads. I curtailed support span equal to span for guides.

-------
should Ceasar be used for this???? (Bends???)...........Why not? piping flexibility and buckling are different issues to be handeled. For d/t>100, the issue of piping flexibility can be handeled through usage of correct SIF values.Our understanding is that for flexibility analysis, the problem lies with SIF values and not with Ceasor II. FEA calculated SIFs will cater the problem. However the issue of buckling should be investigated independently and shall however remain to be analyzed. Ceasor II has never been a tool for analyzing buckling issue, not even for d/t<100. Please correct me if wrong.

-------
Can those mitre bends take large deflections?........ I have used hinged EJs in my final solution, the deflection shall get compensated else where with minimal impact on miter bends. Application of correct SIFs is however needed.

-------
is the earth flat????......... Depends where you are seeing it from.

Sky of Stars
Piping Stress Engineer

#14356 - 11/16/07 05:48 AM Re: High restraint loads on 80" Flue gas line with EJ at 310 C. [Re: SkyofStars]
SUPERPIPER Offline

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: SkyofStars
Superpiper, the CAESAR II file you talked of, in no way corresponds to my final model now. However my reply to your comments follow:

-------
*has no pressure????................ i set +ve, zero and negative pressures to see the difference CAESAR II behaves, nothing more in it!

-------
*is filled with gas at 7833kg/m3???........... What is wrong in Pipe density picked from Ceasor database?

-------
whats wrong with fixing it in the middle and using a simple COMPENSATOR at both connections?..............This is the simplest approach that comes to mind first; and this is exactly how i designed it in the shared CAESAR II file. It resulted in a simple COMPENSATOR on one side of anchor that required 36 convolutions which Pathway professionals say "No one shall manufacture it". In place of 36 convolutions simple EJ, i have used 3 hinged EJs on a changed but more simple route.

-------
why are you using 1/2" thick pipe?........... This much wall thickness donot require pipe stiffeners. Thicknesses more than 11 mm would be addition of huge costs for such large dia long pipes.

-------
why support every 6m??????..............Yes, this is something i had to see a lot many times while deciding about it. Since it was thin pipe (high d/t ratio), so very suspectable to buckling! A well restrained system having guides at appropriate spans should never buckle down. Moreover, the line needed to be stiffened laterally so as to face huge wind loads. I curtailed support span equal to span for guides.

-------
should Ceasar be used for this???? (Bends???)...........Why not? piping flexibility and buckling are different issues to be handeled. For d/t>100, the issue of piping flexibility can be handeled through usage of correct SIF values.Our understanding is that for flexibility analysis, the problem lies with SIF values and not with Ceasor II. FEA calculated SIFs will cater the problem. However the issue of buckling should be investigated independently and shall however remain to be analyzed. Ceasor II has never been a tool for analyzing buckling issue, not even for d/t<100. Please correct me if wrong.

-------
Can those mitre bends take large deflections?........ I have used hinged EJs in my final solution, the deflection shall get compensated else where with minimal impact on miter bends. Application of correct SIFs is however needed.

-------
is the earth flat????......... Depends where you are seeing it from.

Valid points SOS,

I have actually done this, and i couldnt get it out of my head that a speciallist flue duct firm would have done it twice as good for half the cost using duct.!!!! (my client wanted c22-nuts)

When i say no pressure, 1.5 psi is almost negligable (and to be expected)

When i questioned density of GAS! i made a mistake and read your gas to be
7833kg/m3 - oops !

When i questioned using compensators at the ends, i meant fabric expansion joints, not convoluted ones, fabric ones are comenly used in flues due to the very large deflection they can handle, and the relatively low pressures required (see point 1) if you tried that, fair enough, but Convoluted EJs would be somewhat expensive.

When i questioned 1/2" pipe, yes it may eliminate stifferners, but the cost of supporting and purchasing such huge pipe may well exceed that of simple duct with stifferners.
Its normal practice to use sheet ducting, with plate flange sections every 6m or so that the pipework is naturally stiffened, also the sections are easily replace in the event of high corrosion (very likely)

Pipe supports require money and a structure to sit on, plus with the weight of your pipe, the sliding forces are quite high. Head transfer to the shoes could be over the normal PTFE limit of 225c (ish)???
At those temps, the PTFE pads are going to squash, Possibly creating a "sink" for the shoe to sit in.

Should Caesar be used? i don't honestly know. It will give a good indication of the global effects, but i would wonder about the accuracy of the local effect. Beam theory does not translate well here i believe.

WRT the earth,
A bit o light humour.

To close.

The amount of money and time required to have this line installed, supported and stressed may well exceed that used by proffesion flue duct companies. My first port of call would be with the "incinerator?" manufacturer to see if they have a natural way of ducting the flue gasses to the stack.
Just because your 1/2" thick pipe works, doesnt make it the correct option.

But, i am only suggesting!!! you are there, and are best to make that call.

The final layout you posted looks overengineerd and excessively expensive, although it might be correct.

Good Luck

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics