Topic Options
#14047 - 10/31/07 02:01 AM Not Happy - 5.1 Stress ISO
Jouko Offline

ISOGEN is clashing on my works machine (See other topic) so I install CAESAR II on "clean computer". Here are results:

- After installation ISOGEN error, missing OCX file. Copy it from an other computer. Now I can open models
- Setup ISOGEN projects and styles. DRWG templates are not copied into the styles as they used to be.
- CreateTutorial.EXE: not nowking
- Drawing SetupWizerd: not working
- AliasAttributeEditor: not working
- Project Manager: not working
- ISOGEN preview: Not working due to missing template. Copy template into correct place
- ISOGEN preview: error -6

- Able to make stress ISO: Absolutely not. Not even using default style using one of the supplied COADE examples.

Was this program tested: I do not think so.

If you are using stress ISO in 5.0 I would not install 5.1. If you do so 5.0 iso generation doesn't work anymore and you have a good change that 5.1 doesn't work either. Apparently COADE has computers where the program works. I do not have one of those - unfortunately.

Jouko
jouko@jat.co.za

#14058 - 10/31/07 10:39 AM Re: Not Happy - 5.1 Stress ISO [Re: Jouko]
John C. Luf Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
see my response here http://www.coade.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=13992&page=1#Post13992

I assure that this was tested and that you are more than welcome to assist in the next go around if you so desire....

"If your not part of the solution your part of the problem..." Malcom X

Edited by John C. Luf (10/31/07 10:41 AM)

John C. Luf

#14065 - 10/31/07 03:01 PM Re: Not Happy - 5.1 Stress ISO [Re: Jouko]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Quote:
ISOGEN is clashing on my works machine (See other topic) so I install CAESAR II on "clean computer". Here are results:

Quote:

- After installation ISOGEN error, missing OCX file. Copy it from an other computer. Now I can open models.

This is a problem for sure. We discovered that some machines don't have some of the basic components necessary to run ISOGEN and related tools. So initially for Version 5.00 we installed these components. Unfortunately if c2 was then later un-installed, these components were removed (as they should be). But, for machines that already had these components, the un-installation process removed them (which it shouldn't have done - is this a bug in InstallShield or the MSI engine). This caused havoc for everyone running "login" and other scripts, because the scripts needed these components. So we stopped distributing these components that really should already be on the machine.

Quote:
- Setup ISOGEN projects and styles. DRWG templates are not copied into the styles as they used to be.

Yes, we've seen that also. This appears to be a behavior change between the version of ISOGEN that shipped with c2 5.00 and the new version (of ISOGEN) that ships with c2 5.10.

Quote:
- CreateTutorial.EXE: not working.

If basic Alias modules won't run, then ISOGEN won't either.

Quote:
- Drawing SetupWizerd: not working.

Quote:
- AliasAttributeEditor: not working.

Quote:
- Project Manager: not working.

Quote:
- ISOGEN preview: Not working due to missing template. Copy template into correct place.

Quote:
- ISOGEN preview: error -6.

Quote:
- Able to make stress ISO: Absolutely not. Not even using default style using one of the supplied COADE examples.

Make sure you don't actually try to generate an ISOGEN isometric from the \caesarII\examples directory. We've found that this version of ISOGEN won't work in a data directory below the program directory.

Quote:
Was this program tested: I do not think so.

Hmmm, this is a tough one to answer. I'll let someone else take a crack at it. Perhaps:

• Maybe the 3rd Party Firm we've employed since late 2004 to do nothing but test CAESAR II , can comment ...
  • or perhaps one of the Beta Testers who started running Version 5.10 four months before the release could comment ...
  • or perhaps the handful of sharp, knowledgable users who had alpha copies close to a year before the release (for testing) could offer something.

Sorry for the terse reply, but testing and QA consume somewhere between 25% and 35% of the time to get a new release out the door (and that doesn't count the general testing that takes place during the Development phase or during General User Support).

#14069 - 10/31/07 11:51 PM Re: Not Happy - 5.1 Stress ISO [Re: Richard Ay]
Jouko Offline

Your reply is not terse. I would look into your 3rd party direction. I was even told why they were employed 2004 ;-)

I think you really have to look into clean computer installation test. Like that missing OCX issue. It should be on some "Last minute" installation TXT file. I am only 7 hours ahead you. Some of the users are 12. I feel sorry for those. They spend a lot of money on the program plus new computer and then the program doesn't work - and support is in 12 hours.

I need for my own software testing new HD disk so I will get it now and I will use it for clean computer test. Will let you know the results.

Jouko
jouko@jat.co.za

#14076 - 11/01/07 09:15 AM Re: Not Happy - 5.1 Stress ISO [Re: Richard Ay]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
I forgot to comment on this issue yesterday ...

Quote:
If you are using stress ISO in 5.0 I would not install 5.1. If you do so 5.0 iso generation doesn't work anymore and you have a good change that 5.1 doesn't work either. Apparently COADE has computers where the program works.

From Alias Support:
"I think the best answer in the short term is that we do not recommend Caesar II and SP3D (or I-Sketch or SPOOLGEN - see below) be installed on the same workstation. SP3D installs Personal Isogen files in a different place to Caesar. Hence the last installation, which will register the Personal Isogen automation components, will determine which version of Personal Isogen is actually used by these applications. This means that SP3D would use CII installation if the latter were installed last (and vice versa of course). This results in a difficult support problem for somebody, since there is no way to guarantee that CII and SP3D both have the same versions.

An additional difficulty is the project/style set up. The CII user will be using I-Configure to manage ISOGEN projects and styles. SP3D has a different approach, in that these are created “on the fly” when ISOGEN is run.

This is actually a wider issue affecting not only SP3D but also I-Sketch, SPOOLGEN and AutoPlant (among several others). "

So, if you install CAESAR II Version 5.10 on a machine with Version 5.00 already installed, yes you'll break the ISOGEN export in Version 5.00. At the moment, it appears as though you can only have one ISOGEN tool working (on a given machine) at a time.

#14079 - 11/01/07 10:18 AM Re: Not Happy - 5.1 Stress ISO [Re: Richard Ay]
John C. Luf Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Thanks ALIAS! Sheesh! And thanks Microsoft for setting forth the Protocols that Alias is required to follow.

Edited by John C. Luf (11/01/07 10:21 AM)

John C. Luf

#14082 - 11/01/07 01:45 PM Re: Not Happy - 5.1 Stress ISO [Re: Richard Ay]
Jouko Offline

I have some simple rules. One of them is that if I know of a problem I can work around it. If I don't know about the problem I will be in trouble.

If COADE knew of this issue not good that it was not told to users in clear manner. If it was not known then ask money back from your testing contractor grin.

License grant paragraph "a" first sentence says that I can use the program on one computer. Now that I need to have 5 and 5.1 on different computers. Interesting. confused

Jouko
jouko@jat.co.za

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 105 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics