Topic Options
#11164 - 05/11/07 09:02 AM Spring Hangers design
Santiago Naranjo Offline

Loc: Bogota
Very often CESAR get’s a little bit lost designing spring hangers, any how it’s very useful and gives you an idea about how the systems works.

I like more to make a first run using the CESAR algorithm and then refine the design manually.

Recently I have been using the method of modifying the setting loads in order to reach a zero Y displacement in the sustain case. I would like to know other opinions about this practice.

#11169 - 05/11/07 10:22 AM Re: Spring Hangers design [Re: Santiago Naranjo]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Why do you think you should have zero displacements at the hanger location in the SUStained load case? Remember, a spring balances the system in only on position, which by default is setup to be the hot (OPErating) load case.

Yes you can push the design around a little, but this is something that varies from model to model.

#11170 - 05/11/07 10:40 AM Re: Spring Hangers design [Re: Richard Ay]
Santiago Naranjo Offline

Loc: Bogota
I’m worried about the fact that during the installation the setting load would be very different from the real one, when we have displacements in the Sustain case.

#11171 - 05/11/07 12:15 PM Re: Spring Hangers design [Re: Santiago Naranjo]
NozzleTwister Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: Santiago Naranjo
Very often CESAR get’s a little bit lost designing spring hangers, .....

Sounds like user error. CAESAR designs my springs exactly as I tell it too.

If you want zero dead weight displacements, choosing Cold Load Deisgn will get you pretty close.

Hot Load design is used most often because it supports the optimum weight load when the system is hot and operating rather than when it's cold.

I also use the Center Hot Loads option so CAESAR chooses the spring with the hot load nearest the center of the load range. You can also adjust the variability on a particular spring to force CAESAR into giving you a softer spring (longer movement range) and it'll reduce the difference between your hot and cold loads.

This is all covered in detail in the CAESAR manuals and help sections.

Normally small deflections at your spring supports in your weight case is acceptable

#11172 - 05/11/07 02:08 PM Re: Spring Hangers design [Re: Santiago Naranjo]
Dave Diehl Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
While I agree with the other posts here I like Santiago's point - that CAESAR II will get you an initial selection but a little tweaking can improve the selection.

I guess I'm responding more to a statement I sometimes hear: "CAESAR II told me to buy that spring."

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics