Topic Options
#6524 - 09/07/06 11:02 AM Forces and Moments
krish Offline

Loc: India
One of our Turbine Supplier is not furnishing the Exact Resultant Forces & Moments, when ever we ask from our end they are ask us to do a calcualation as Per NEMA standards. By giving all pressure from us they furnished a Excel Format Calculation. The Excel Calculation Covers the Inlet, Bleed1, Bleed2, Bleed3 & Exhaust, Combined case Caluculations. In that i fed the values just like Trial & Error, where i found in Individual Cases it accepts up to Forces 200kg & Moment 140 kg.m. But in Combined case ALLOWABLE Fc+1.64*Mc<=22Dc gets failed. To satisfy all the cases i got only 40kg & 40 kg.m Forces and Moment. For a 15MW Turbine this kind of load.. i can't believe..

Sorry to ask this in COADE Forum. Because of the Turbine Supplier the Project getting delayed.

The sizes of the Nozzles are as follows

Inlet Size - 150 NB. SCH 120
Bleed 1 - 150 NB. SCH 80
Bleed 2 - 150 NB. SCH 80
Bleed 3 - 150 NB. SCH 40
Exhaust - Equivalent Diameter - 1194.3mm

My question is

1. What the Tubine Supplier doing is rite
[ Request us to do a calculation as per NEMA.. Actually we are the Consultants ] ?

If any one really interested i will send the Excel Calculation what the Supplier sent to us.

Plz Help..

#6525 - 09/07/06 04:36 PM Re: Forces and Moments
John C. Luf Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
I've been in this buissness a long time and meeting equipment load requirements are part of the work.

So you have to step up and do the whole job, and see if you pipes design meets the vendors requirements.

I see nothing unusual in your situation other than the fact that you did not realize what a consulting engineers scope of work usually is.

Was piping flexibilty analysis and design of these systems part of your orginal scope?

If it was code stresses are only a portion of the work, did you expect the Turbine Vendor to design and analyze the piping systems?

Good Luck your question makes me think you have a large amount of work and learning ahead of you!

John C. Luf

#6526 - 09/08/06 08:17 AM Re: Forces and Moments
krish Offline

Loc: India
Thanks for your reply john.

Piping Flexibility is not in our scope, our scope is to review the analysis.

In our side two agencies doing Piping.

One is Air Cooled Condenser Supplier - Takes Pipe from the TG Exhaust.

Other one, Main Steam Inlet, Bleed 1, Bleed 2, Bleed 3. It is with Boiler Supplier scope.

Now i am in Big Confusion and trouble how to split the Forces and Moments between the two suppliers as per NEMA Standard.

#6527 - 09/08/06 09:06 AM Re: Forces and Moments
John C. Luf Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Ah well then your contracting agreement has left you high and dry.... go ask the contracting person what he intends to do about the mess that he / she has created, seeing as how he / she split the work up to two separate parties....

John C. Luf

#6528 - 09/11/06 04:01 PM Re: Forces and Moments
Edward Klein Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
So, you've got an air cooler condenser supplier and a boiler supplier responsible for the piping design of lines connecting to the steam turbine?

That is a very strange arrangement and I'd be dubious of the piping design, much less analysis capabilities, of either vendor.

If your role is to check analysis, that implies that the two vendors you speak of first need to complete some valid analysis and piping design work for you to review. Some body has to come up with a design to satisfy the NEMA requirements.

krish, at this point, about all I can offer are my sympathies.

All the world is a Spring

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics