Topic Options
#1501 - 12/23/03 06:27 AM OUTPUT REPORTS DIRECTLY TO WORD
fdo Offline

Loc: Maracaibo-Venezuela
Good day Forums,

My english is very bad,
CAESAR II provides the ability to send output reports directly to word. This feacture is activated through use of the button word but I have problems when generating reports to Word showing the following error C:\CAESAR\outword.dll : DllRegisterServer Failed

As I solve the problem

#1502 - 12/23/03 08:21 AM Re: OUTPUT REPORTS DIRECTLY TO WORD
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
You may need "administrator" priviledges to solve this one, but here are the steps:

1) Go to [Start], then move up to "Run".
2) In the "edit box", type the following command:
regsvr32 c:\caesar\outword.dll
(Change "c:\caesar" to your installation directory.)
3) Click on [Ok]

This should register the DLL, and the export to MS Word should work fine.

If there are issues, you may need to get a "systems person" involved. OUTWORD.DLL is registered automatically during the installation (from the CD), so you may have other issues with this particular machine.

#1503 - 12/29/03 03:12 PM Re: OUTPUT REPORTS DIRECTLY TO WORD
Edward Klein Offline

Well, this isn't quite what I expected the topic to be, but I'm going to piggy back on it since it's regarding using Word for the output.

Is it/will it be possible to save the output to a Word document? What I mean is that, I typically use the disk icon to create a .out file for the information I typically include in a report so I have an electronic copy that can easily be network archived and retrieved by someone w/o Caesar. It would be nice to be able to do this straight to a Word document instead of a simple text file.

All the world is a Spring

#1504 - 12/29/03 03:23 PM Re: OUTPUT REPORTS DIRECTLY TO WORD
Richard Ay Offline

Yes, you can save reports directly to MS Word. Assuming the software was installed correctly<sup>1</sup>, and assuming Norton Anti-Virus<sup>2</sup> has never been installed on the machine, just click the [W] button on the output toolbar. The reports will be sent to MS Word, where you can then save a .DOC file.

Notes:
1) Installed correctly means with administrator privileges such that the necessary DLLs get registered with the system.

2) Norton Anti-Virus causes its own set of problems since it loads a DLL via the registry that prevents 3<sup>rd</sup> party software from starting MS Office products. There is an article discussing this issue in the July 2003 issue of COADE's Mechanical Engineering News.

#1505 - 01/05/04 12:57 PM Re: OUTPUT REPORTS DIRECTLY TO WORD
Edward Klein Offline

There's just one problem with that approach that I've run into. When I typically save to an OUT file, I have to hit the disk icon twice to get the combination of results that I usually save. First one gets me Input Echo, Restraint Summary and Displacements for OPE, SUS, and OCC cases. Then the next one gets me Stresses for SUS, OCC, and displacement cases.

Caesar will append the additional information to the end of the file and then append the table of contents when I exit out of the Output menu. The same is true for going to the printer.

When you hit the W icon, it immediately "writes" to the word document and I can find no way to go back to append the remaining output and have a complete table of contents.

If there were a way to have the output system store all the output like it does when going to the printer before opening word, that would make the output to Word much more useful.

#1506 - 01/05/04 01:08 PM Re: OUTPUT REPORTS DIRECTLY TO WORD
Richard Ay Offline

When the first set of reports appears in the MS Word dialog, click on the [X] at the upper right of the window. This will return control back to the CAESAR II module that invoked MS Word. Now select the next set of desired reports and click the [W] button. This will append these new reports to the existing MS Word output.

You can do this as many times as necessary. Just before you quit out of Word or CAESAR II, make sure you save the MS Word file as a document.

#1507 - 01/07/04 12:13 PM Re: OUTPUT REPORTS DIRECTLY TO WORD
Edward Klein Offline

Ah, very good. I will give that a shot.

Thanks,
--ED

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics