Topic Options
#1366 - 10/23/03 07:01 AM Supports
MANISH Offline

Loc: mumbai
While going through the discussion forum supports 25-05-2002 CAESAR II in the answer of Mr. John Breen their are a few things said which i would like to get clarified.
I quote
"Keep in mind that in some piping systems additional supports are already located at various places to assist in maintenance. These supports may be used temporarily to prevent deflections (sagging) of the piping only when the system is out-of-service (and at ambient temperature) and when valves or other in-line components are removed for maintenance. So these supports could be termed " permanently installed, temporarily used ”. These “extra” supports may also be used temporarily during the hydro-test if they are available and in the right places. Just be sure to check that they are not overloaded by the added test medium weight. Also make sure the structures that they are attached to will not be overloaded. We like to say “check the load path - follow each and every support load all the way to the ground"
My Question is :
1. What are the type of supports "Permanently installed, Temporarily used"?
and how to differentiate them during input/analysis stages.
Is their any special constructional feature of the foresaid supports?

2.How to check for undermentioned so that it defines the uniqueness mentioned in question 1"Just be sure to check that they are not overloaded by the added test medium weight. Also make sure the structures that they are attached to will not be overloaded"?

#1367 - 11/04/03 10:18 AM Re: Supports
Dave Diehl Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
The intended use of a support has no significance in the CAESAR II model - it is either included or not included in the analysis. Of course, you can model Permanently Installed-Temporarily Used support as a +Y restraint (near a nozzle or valve) which never contacts the piping when everything is "buttoned up" by adding a CNODE with a -Y displacement but what's the use of that? You would have to re-run the analysis anyway with the nearby flange opened to see the pipe rest on that support.

I didn't pull up the original thread on this topic but I believe what Mr. Breen is advocating here is that a single CAESAR II (CAESAR II) analysis cannot provide all the numbers nor can a single CAESAR II model encompass all the issues in building a safe and reliable piping system.

#1368 - 11/07/03 03:22 AM Re: Supports
MANISH Offline

Loc: mumbai
Incase, we use '+Y' at the node and '-Y' at the cnode; then at the said node taking the relative displacements into consideration, 'Y' gets restrained in both direction. However, what I understand from your reply is that,probably a "directional limit stop" with gap more than the actual displacement at the said node could possibily be the nearest representation of the"Permanently installed temporarily used"supports.
Do you agree?

#1369 - 11/07/03 08:13 AM Re: Supports
Dave Diehl Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
I suggested a +Y restraint but modify that restraint by adding a CNODE and define a displacement in the Y direction for that CNODE. If, for example, the temporarily used support lies 1 inch below the (unsagged) pipe, I would add a displacement of that CNODE of -1.0 inch. Every load case would include this displacement. The pipe would contact the support only if the original (restrained) node drops that 1 inch.
The program allows such modeling but, again, these systems probably deserve more individual examination than can be provided in a "all-encompassing" model.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics