Topic Options
#31062 - 11/03/09 08:49 AM model continuity
Geoff Offline

Loc: Tennessee, USA
I have imported several pcf files for a piping system. I located the pipe segments all around the main pipe section that I was going to connect the other segments. I connected them by changing the "to" and "from" node numbers so everything connects.

Some of the problems that I have come across are:

1. When I renumbered the model so all the nodes would flow, a message came up that said not all the nodes could be renumbered, but I am not sure why.

2. I changed the pipe material selection on the first node, but all the other nodes did not change pipe material.

I am concerned that my model has several discontinuities where I connected the pipe segments together.

I will have several other models that I will be pulling together in a similar manner, so I am wondering if it would be better in the long run to start the models from scratch to help ensure continuity.

These are not large or overly complicated models as compared to what I have done previously.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Geoff (11/03/09 09:01 AM)
Edit Reason: corrected a problem

#31066 - 11/03/09 09:12 AM Re: model continuity [Re: Geoff]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Geoff,

With regard to the issues above:

1) Can you send your model file (".c 2") in to TechSupport with instructions so we can try the "renumber operation"? Then we can give you an answer.

2) This is likely because each model (that you combined) had the material defined on the first element. This will stop the duplication at that point.

3) There shouldn't be any discontinuities, if you connected things by changing the node number. An easy way to test for this is to set the global coordinates of the first node in the model (even if you set them to 0,0,0). When you click [Ok] if the dialog disappears, everything is connected. If on the other hand you're asked for the coordinates of another node, you have a disconnected model.

#70044 - 09/26/17 07:20 AM Re: model continuity [Re: Richard Ay]
Mamacint Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Richard Ay
Geoff,

With regard to the issues above:

1) Can you send your model file (".c 2") in to TechSupport with instructions so we can try the "renumber operation"? Then we can give you an answer.

2) This is likely because each model (that you combined) had the material defined on the first element. This will stop the duplication at that point.

3) There shouldn't be any discontinuities, if you connected things by changing the node number. An easy way to test for this is to set the global coordinates of the first node in the model (even if you set them to 0,0,0). When you click [Ok] if the dialog disappears, everything is connected. If on the other hand you're asked for the coordinates of another node, you have a disconnected model.

Richard,

I discovered that global coordinate trick a little while ago (really, really wish I'd thought of it sooner, but that's another story.

But, what about lines that loop? Something like this (where * i

Code:
10-----------20-----------------------30-----------40
              |                       |
             50---------60 70--------80

The disconnect at Node 60 and 70 are still connected to the overall system but not connected to each other.

Any (non-tedious) method for check for this. I get a lot of models exported from CADWorx and the nodes can be all over the place and it can be hard to keep track.

Thanks,

Edited by Mamacint (09/26/17 07:21 AM)

#70046 - 09/26/17 07:48 AM Re: model continuity [Re: Geoff]
Michael_Fletcher Offline

Loc: Louisiana, US
Suggestion: Apply a distributed load to the entire model and run a test case.

Ramp up the displacement multiplier and review the graphical results. Even if 50-60 = 70-80, the two elements should rotate in relation to each other.

It still requires a manual check, but it's easier than going through the numbers.

#70053 - 09/27/17 07:38 AM Re: model continuity [Re: Geoff]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
There is a "continuity check" in CADWorx. You should use this before you export to CAESAR II. If the CADWorx model is disconnected, then the resulting CAESAR II model will be disconnected.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics